Ohm64/RGB vs...Twitch?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ohm64/RGB vs...Twitch?

Haven't been taking my meds lately for my Gear Acquisition Syndrome. My latest fascination is the Ohm64/upcoming OhmRGB. The more I read about it, the more it seems better for me.

Looking into buying an all-in-one since I will soon be in rotations and will be traveling quite a bit. Main difference to me is that I'd need an external soundcard with the Livid, not a big deal. Also, the Twitch is definitely cheaper but I'm more than willing to pay the extra money for the quality that Livid puts out. Was holding out for the Twitch but I'm liking everything about the Ohm device.

Just wondering if any Ohm users want to share any thoughts for using it with Traktor! I know that MIDI controllers should be chosen based around your workflow. Just wondering what CONS people found with the Ohm64? Main one I can think of is that if you set the upper left knobs to EQ's for 4 decks, then you might be short on knobs for FX. Then again, this all depends on how YOU use Traktor! :-) Also, the Twitch looks a lot more portable than the Ohm.

And yes, I've read all the posts on DJTT about Ohm64 and done a lot of google searches too. No specific question here, just seeing which direction I should go in. Twitch would mean switching to Serato. Livid would mean having to figure out what to do with an 8x8 grid! I'm sure the APC40 Traktor users would support this.

Anyways, thoughts? Thanks!
    Last edited by GI Trackt; 07-19-2011 at 07:29 PM.

ohm 64 rgb is way cooler imo, plus the mapping possibilities are almost endless

nb4 twitching crazed druggies!
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Guru

I get GAS too... Bad!

i seem to get GAS pretty bad but so far i've managed to keep it at bay with small/cheap controllers as my sig will attest to

that ohm64 looks awesome and has roughly the same number of pots/faders as the twitch anyway?

tough call tho... i do rather like the idea of the twitch...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Ohm64RGB = Well planned Ableton Live use
    Twich = Integrated and on the go DJing in Twitch

Very different uses, one is geared towards tech savvy DJs and the other towards tech savvy producers and engineers (for the programming and customization). Depends on the use.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Wizard

Hey another GAS sufferer here! (At work so this is longer than it wouldve been normally hope it answers your questions though)

I've owned the OHM64 wood for a while now after owning the apc40/20, vci600, djm400, nanokontrol, maschine and some other I've forgotten, and the best purchase by far has to the be the OHM. I've just ordered the OHMrgb and code as soon as I saw it had come out.

Depending on how you play (im guessing platters arn't a big issue) it can work really well with traktor. At the moment I have the top half of the grid as my two decks A+B which includes:

8 cuepoints (shift to delete)
    move forward 4bars (shift 1bar)
    move forward 4bars (shift 1bar)
    play
    sync
    loop active
    autoloop 2bars
    autoloop 1bar
    *when in loop move acts as half or double loop
    ...and one button yet to be mapped

I've deleted it from my mapping just now because I had a change of heart, but at the bottom I split it in two and made several pages (changed via the buttons at the side of the crossfader)

-a mirror of the above for decks C+D
    -one side as browser control
    -two instant grat style grids with the effects I used most (possibly an answer if you don't have enough faders for effects)
    -a page with level meters

The left fader & knobs like you say was used for volumes and eq, i tend to use mostly two decks plus a sample deck on D with the main fader on full so I used the extra knobs for filter and key for decks A & B.

The right panel is used for my sample deck or effects.

The row of buttons at the bottom is play, then volumes and filters.
    OR two banks of effects.

The buttons are far superior to the apc (more bouncy) and I dare say for a lot of things I prefer the buttons to maschine pads. The build quality is amazing and the guys on the forum are very helpful, they're often on there answering questions and take on board feature requests and have their own free apps for the controllers (which I keep meaning to use) like a free standing looper and monome emulator. It somehow doesn't feel two crowded either.

MY GRIPES...

For a full eq section on the left there's not enough knobs for 4 decks to have filter control and key and gain (I've never been comfortable with double mapping knobs). If you want master controls/headfones this is the same story, you may need to make sacrifices (I found using shift and an effect fader worked best since I'm not always using effects so it wouldn't matter and set this 2nd shift button to set effects back to zero on release so their values weren't affected)

There's no endless encoders, for auto gain this can be handy and also scrubing tracks (one of the reasons for buying the code amoungst others)

The top right six button lights are always on so limits feedback for certain controls (i use them for deck zoom and additional shift keys). related to this you could set the right section as two effects units however would only have one bank of 'on' buttons with LED feedback but this can be avoided by using effects that maybe dont rely on them as much ie group delay and can turn on when you turn a knob or use some of the top six buttons to hold 'on'.

When mapping because you have limited feedback with one colour LEDs its sometimes hard to find the button your after quickly, especially when using pages you have set up. It might be because I keep changing my mapping and you can also use the beat monitor trick to make them flash which is handy for showing loops are active or for track end warnings. The RGB will make this problem obsolete.

All in all for a controller that probably doesn't really have traktor in mind I think its amazing and it gives you so many options. I also use ableton and maschine software so it's a godsend. I've recently stated using them with traktor more and I'm going to integrate them into the same mapping. One of the forum users has designed an editor that can change mappings and the midi channels they use on the fly which should be brilliant for using with ableton and traktor on one controller.

I've got the code on its way aswell because it'll give my not just the endless encoders for traktor for extra eq, scrub, gain etc (and feedback) but I can use it with ableton by changing page if need be and have feed back for it too. Thinking about a production course so I'm sure 32 encoders will come in handy! When you think you can get the rgb and code for less than the price of an s4 it does make me wonder...

Oh and it looks awesome!

So yeah can't recommend it enough! I can't help thinking the twitch will just be another controller gathering dust after a year in comparision and you'll want something else, after a couple years I almost dont want to sell my old OHM even with the rgb, i love it that much!

Any questions give me a shout!
    2014 MBP Retina 15" / Maschine Studio / MM-1 / 2x X1 Mk2 / A2DJ / Rokit 5's

For straight up DJing the Twitch looks better, but as you said it's your workflow that dictates what's best for you!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Thanks everyone for your responses!

Abletom, thank you very much for the detailed post. I was hoping you would read this post. I read all of your posts on DJTT (using the search) relating to the Ohm and RGB. Can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond so thoroughly. I'm getting a killer deal right now and so I'm about to make my decision. I'll most probably ask you for your tsi and tweak it as needed for myself.

Twitch looks great too but I feel like I jumped on the bandwagon and had to really double check myself. Starting my new podcast and playing around a lot more with Traktor made me realize what I really need. I know the Ohm was made with Live in mind, but I just think that when deciding between expensive gear, quality should be a priority. Ohm64/rgb has my vote. Now it's just deciding bw going with the deal I'm getting on the 64 or saving some more cash to throw down for the RGB. Colored LEDs in Traktor could help, but I'm fine with just one color (bedroom DJ/small parties for me).

My all-in-one contoller GAS trasformation over time: mc6000 --> Twitch --> ohm64 :-)
    Last edited by GI Trackt; 07-20-2011 at 02:50 PM.

The ohm is sexy as fuck!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast