Actually Deadmau5 is using Ableton now, He said so himself on his webshow
    Dell Inspiron 15r,4 gig ram,720HDDSerato Itch,Pioneer DDJTS1,Pioneer HDJ500
    Ableton Suite ,Akai Apc40,Akai LPD8,LPK25,NI Audio 2
    The Echo Reflex(T.E.RF)http://www.mixcloud.com/TERF/

Tech Mentor

flstudio is like 'Tomy, my first DAW'

Tech Wizard

I have both...

I started on FL (last version i have is 8)
    and moved to Ableton.

I mostly used FL and occasionally dabbled in Ableton and then after a few weeks/months I found I was always using Ableton.

Now I sometimes dabble in FL its interesting transferring the lessons I have learned in Ableton back to FL. I always export wavs from FL and finish in Ableton though or use FL as a VST from Ableton.

Comparing the 2 apps FL has some really quirky interface ideas (like re-arrarranging effects in a chain)
    Also I always feel cluttered with a mess of tiny popup windows scattered across my screens in FL

Ableton interface is fairly unique but is IMO almost perfect for working with.
    I love Ableton's effects chain and how you can build racks of instruments and effects, also the 2 views.
    So many things are easy to just drag and drop and copy and paste.
    Sidechaining is super easy compared to FL.

I find the Ableton resources ie you-tube tutorials to be higher quality (although there are masses of fun FL tutorials out there)

I would recommend Ableton to anyone, but I wouldn't diss anyone for using FL though and the latest version looks like it has some cool stuff in it.
    I ignore silly rumors about the FL sound rendering engine

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJBambii View Post
    Yeah I'm 16 so It was cheap but my friend who's going to school using Ableton gave me the program so I'm trying it out. I love producing music even though I suck at it XD That's why I want the best .
    Haaa, me too. I'm also sixteen and suck at producing tracks on the computer. But It's all for fun anyway right?

I've produced a few tracks on my PIANO with all the bells and whistles. Yes Piano, not keyboard. And I'm much better on that, its got the full digital mixing board, a billion soundpacks, and I naturally feel more 'at home' on that . (I've been playing classical piano for 8+ years)
    ***2 Stanton c314 CDJs, 1 Behringer DJX750 Mixer, 2 Gemini XL-500 II Direct Drive Turntables, Sony Bass Boost Headphones, Yamaha Clavinova CLP-501 Digital Piano, Traktor Scratch Duo 2, And the Willingness to learn and look stupid ***

Quote Originally Posted by dryzero View Post
    Comparing the 2 apps FL has some really quirky interface ideas (like re-arrarranging effects in a chain)
    Also I always feel cluttered with a mess of tiny popup windows scattered across my screens in FL

Ableton interface is fairly unique but is IMO almost perfect for working with.
    I love Ableton's effects chain and how you can build racks of instruments and effects, also the 2 views.
    So many things are easy to just drag and drop and copy and paste.
    Sidechaining is super easy compared to FL.

I find the Ableton resources ie you-tube tutorials to be higher quality (although there are masses of fun FL tutorials out there)

I would recommend Ableton to anyone, but I wouldn't diss anyone for using FL though and the latest version looks like it has some cool stuff in it.
    I ignore silly rumors about the FL sound rendering engine
    Oh, where to start...

I'm not saying Ableton is bad. At all. It's a great program, I've just been using FL longer.

1. The ability to freely rearrange effects on a track is pretty awesome (but not unique to FL)

2. Having a large screen obviously helps workflow, but that's true of any program. The Tab key is your friend. Or the Function keys.

3. FL's mixer allows you to use any mixer track as a Send, and then you can route any track to any other track, so building FX chains is just as easy.

4. You can drag and drop pretty much anything these days in FL 10

5. Sidechaining is super duper easy in FL.

Let's say you've got a Kick on Track 1, and a synth on Track 2 (for a classic example.)
    - Select Track 1
    - Right click on Track 2's route icon and select "Sidechain to this track"
    - Add FL Limiter to Track 2
    - Click the Comp tab for FL Limiter
    - Right Click on Sidechain box, select Track 1

Done. Adjust settings to your liking. Bonus: FL Limiter has a great display of the waveform and color codes what the plug-in is doing to it, so I find it ridiculously easy to get it where I want.

And yeah, tutorials are iffy most of the time for FL, imo.

I really do need to go back and give Ableton another try. I've just got my workflow down for FL so well it's hard to learn other programs lol

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont! View Post
    Oh, where to start...

I'm not saying Ableton is bad. At all. It's a great program, I've just been using FL longer.

1. The ability to freely rearrange effects on a track is pretty awesome (but not unique to FL)

2. Having a large screen obviously helps workflow, but that's true of any program. The Tab key is your friend. Or the Function keys.

3. FL's mixer allows you to use any mixer track as a Send, and then you can route any track to any other track, so building FX chains is just as easy.

4. You can drag and drop pretty much anything these days in FL 10

5. Sidechaining is super duper easy in FL.

Let's say you've got a Kick on Track 1, and a synth on Track 2 (for a classic example.)
    - Select Track 1
    - Right click on Track 2's route icon and select "Sidechain to this track"
    - Add FL Limiter to Track 2
    - Click the Comp tab for FL Limiter
    - Right Click on Sidechain box, select Track 1

Done. Adjust settings to your liking. Bonus: FL Limiter has a great display of the waveform and color codes what the plug-in is doing to it, so I find it ridiculously easy to get it where I want.

And yeah, tutorials are iffy most of the time for FL, imo.

I really do need to go back and give Ableton another try. I've just got my workflow down for FL so well it's hard to learn other programs lol
    I know How you feel right now as I'm trying to make a Dubstep song on Ableton XD The interface is quite different and Is gonna take some getting used to but I kind like it's feel if you get what I'm saying
    Dell Inspiron 15r,4 gig ram,720HDDSerato Itch,Pioneer DDJTS1,Pioneer HDJ500
    Ableton Suite ,Akai Apc40,Akai LPD8,LPK25,NI Audio 2
    The Echo Reflex(T.E.RF)http://www.mixcloud.com/TERF/

Tech Student

You can run FL in ableton. I use FL to run vst synths and maybe building some drum loops in ableton

Tech Wizard

For me I use both.I started out with Fruity Loops 2 way back in the day so I am comfortable with it.I prefer Ableton though as I just love how the program feels and operates.Learn both.Use both.Knowing both programs gives you 2 weapons in your arsenal

DeadHands

never was a big fan of fruity loops but FL Studio 10 completely changed my mind. It is really good and i'm happy with its process

It's not the software, it's the user.
    Deadmau5 uses FL Studio ffs.

Try both, see what you prefer.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast