Best set up for home mixing?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Best set up for home mixing?

Hey guys, looking to upgrade to a nice, weighty home system for when I'm just mixing in my spare time.

I'm totally new to all things audio, but I've been looking at a few different options.

A. Get a Studio Monitor pair (KRK or something in that range) and add a subwoofer in
    B. PA System, although idk if this would be TOO much volume for me, I live in a small house
    C. Home Theatre/HiFi system. Get a few satellite speakers and a sub, get a receiver and run that.

I really want to be able to use my S4 as the soundcard still, looking for the least amount of hassle to get awesome, full sound, although a little bit of legwork isn't really a problem.

So, really, what is everyone else out there using at home? What would you suggest under about 1000 total.
    Note that if I do get a PA system it probably won't leave the house, most venues already have systems here and I'm done with house parties for a while.

KRK rp8s, maybe a KRK 10s Sub and you'll be golden.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

i agree that a good pair of monitors and sub is a nice choice. To get a 2-channel system to be accurate, low, AND loud is not easy for less than $1000 bucks. I would suggest listening to some active monitors and start with that and if you need more ooomph, get a subwoofer.
    If you had more money and you really want a midfield system, you should be looking at something like a pair of NHT classic 4 with a 2 channel amp. Or similar tower speakers like B&W, Monitor Audio, Focal, etc.
    I'd definitely steer away from compression driver PA speakers in your home, these can be brutally harsh and fatigue your ears easily, unless again you shell out some serious bucks for an audiophile horn system.

Awesome, I'm definitely thinking the Studio Monitor route is going to be the best without a doubt. Now I have a few more questions about said set up.

Do I have to pair Studio Monitors with a "studio" sub? Could I just purchase an powered sub and run it with them? The KRK sub seems sort of pricey for it's specs although it could be a real banger? I've just noticed that most studio monitoring companies don't make many subwoofers, so I'm guessing that people buy a powered sub elsewhere and run it in tandem?

Also will I need any sort of monitoring controller to run the monitors with a sub. I was browsing around and found this: http://www.uniquesquared.com/jbl-msc...ontroller.html while searching through JBL stuff. It was advertising that it allows you to run your monitors and sub together, although it does have a wealth of other stuff.

TL;DR - Do I need a "studio controller" to run a sub in tandem with the monitors, and can I run any powered sub with said monitors?

Thank you guys for your help!

I have always thought that studio monitors are great... if you are producing. For DJing, I say get a pair of PA's if you have the money. If not, go for a pair of half decent floor standing speakers and an amp. It's gonna sound nicer than any pair of studio monitors, and while it won't push what a PA can, it will blow away the studio monitors.

Tech Mentor

No, you don't need a "studio" sub, or a controller. Any decent sub will have all the controls you need on it to blend it with your monitors.
    I recommend Hsu.

Tech Wizard

After I bought my S4 n laptop i was pretty much broke lol so i just ran the S4 through my 2ch home theatre system, the sound quality wasnt great, it was loud but lacked bass so i bought a cheap $100 active 10" sub and for a budget home set-up, it was good, hope i helped in some way
    HP G6 - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - HD215's

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Also, I want the bitches.

Yamaha HS80M.

2 of them have MORE than enough bass for a home mixing setup, won't kill your neighbours, can crank them up real loud and they don't distort AND they sound better than KRKs.
    "Tell me what I need to be a DJ so I can f*ck the prom queen"
    Biru on Soundcloud
    Biru on Facebook

If you are going to get a separate sub, make sure it's a good one. It doesn't necessarily have to be the KRK one, although that would be the best match for KRK monitors. Most of them have built in crossovers so you can just set the cutoff level on the back of the sub and plug the monitors in there as well.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by biru View Post
    Yamaha HS80M.

2 of them have MORE than enough bass for a home mixing setup, won't kill your neighbours, can crank them up real loud and they don't distort AND they sound better than KRKs.
    +1

I sincerely love mine <3
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast