I don't need no stinkin' faders! Going hybrid!

Default I don't need no stinkin' faders! Going hybrid!

In an attempt to create the ideal "for me" set-up, I am eliminating one of my key pieces of equipment...my mixer, and going CDJ/Controller.

While it serves its purpose, I find that I am really only using the volume faders and EQs. Of course that's what a mixer is for, but heck, I can do that with a midi controller.

So going back to my midi roots, I have decided to let my X1 take the place of my Xone 42. I step back, I know. Being able to control everything within Traktor with my X1 both in midi and HID mode took a little mapping but now it does essentially the same thing as my 42, while beatmatching is still done with my CDJs.

A simple, yet powerful combo is now 2 CDJs set to native mode and the X1 as my mixer. Volume is now initiated by simply the EQs.

Not sure what the point of this was, but hope some others find this useful and some find it strange
    Last edited by Gryz; 07-21-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Tech Wizard

It's always good seeing other people think outside of the box, and thankfully the time is such that we as digital DJs have the possibility to make our gear fit us as we best prefer.

Tech Mentor

I'd be useless without a crossfader. Can you put up a mix with your new setup? I'm very curious what your mixing sounds like.

haha same here. i use my mixer for faders and eq, but then again my setup is designed to run off a clubs mixer, this way i use less energy and resources. gotta think green

Tech Guru

+1 on the thinking outside the box, would you not map a knob to a cross fader, for some reason I find it a lot easier and have done so on my fx controller since the crossfader is a macro effect, I find I use this more then my main cross fader as you can do little nudges
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

I made the exact opposite move you're suggesting -- I went from doing most of my mixing internally on a VCI-100 to externally on a real mixer.

I think in theory mixing internally should be a better thing than externally because you can really have lots of control over EQ settings, etc through software, in practice there is no good software that takes advantage of this. Traktor's internal mixer is fun to use with a controller, but it's just weak when it comes to sound quality and the level of control it offers. The different EQ settings available are rather limited and none of them offer full kill. The filters are fun to play with but they don't compare to what you've got on your Xone 42. And you're kind of screwed if you want control over a booth out or separate monitor. Maybe in a few years software developers will recognize the demand for software that really offers advantages over hardware solutions but given what's out there currently, including Traktor, I'd say we're just not there yet.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I'll definitely be keeping the 42 around, but I'm going to try this out a bit more until I make up my mind fully.

I will agree with you Proben on the fact that the EQing within Traktor is not as great as on an external, but to be honest, I bet only we, as avid EDM listeners and DJs, will be able to tell the difference...

As for my mixing, all the mixes on my Soundcloud are done solely with my CDJs and a controller...not the X1, but a controller nonetheless.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG