Looking for audio engineering type resources
    Tech Wizard

Default Looking for audio engineering type resources

I am trying to educate myself about speakers, PA's and general audio engineering but don't want to go to school to learn all about it. Specifically I would like the information to be able to decipher all the specs I see on speakers and have the knowledge to be able to put together a PA system correctly (as it pertains to Ohms and the like).
    Does anyone know of any resources online that are available to get the run down?

Tech Guru

Id try google, something like how to setup a pa system
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMpress View Post
    I am trying to educate myself about speakers, PA's and general audio engineering but don't want to go to school to learn all about it. Specifically I would like the information to be able to decipher all the specs I see on speakers and have the knowledge to be able to put together a PA system correctly (as it pertains to Ohms and the like).
    Does anyone know of any resources online that are available to get the run down?
    +1 - more of the specifics of setting up a proper PA. I know the basics, but I'd like to know more of the specifics of Sound Engineering.

(and something a little more helpful that 'google it' would be good)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Books is the best resource for learning anything really

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=audio+engineering&x=0&y=0"]Amazon.com: audio engineering[/ame]
    Check out my...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenboarder99
    http://soundcloud.com/glenboarder99
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Then you are golden....like Ean Golden.

Tech Guru

I learnt my shizzle from doing a course, and it was basically a course for dummies, non of this technical shit, just all hands on for setting up systems to using tools for getting levels perfect, to monitoring live bands, setting up for recording etc, but if i was to start we'd be here for years and its a lot easier to do it on a system then try explain
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    I learnt my shizzle from doing a course, and it was basically a course for dummies, non of this technical shit, just all hands on for setting up systems to using tools for getting levels perfect, to monitoring live bands, setting up for recording etc, but if i was to start we'd be here for years and its a lot easier to do it on a system then try explain
    Aye, I suppose it might be a little like trying to learn how to swim by reading a book on how to do it ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Mentor

+1 for books. I recommend all of Bruce Bartletts practical recording books.
    As to the specifics of deciphering and hooking up a PA system, its the same information an audiophile would learn to put together an audio system, so I would also look at those basic resources.
    Also, I'm kind of an audiophile/PA nerd, so feel free to ask me.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Aye, I suppose it might be a little like trying to learn how to swim by reading a book on how to do it ...
    Yeah or back to my fulltime job, be like trying to learn carpentry by sitting in a classroom, you need to be hands on to keep interested. But with audio usually a bit of playing about will give you good knowledge, just keep levels at 0 and slowely turn up to see whats happening

If you don't want to read, your best look will be actually working with pro audio at a local bar, club, or theater. Ask around and see if someone will take you under their wing as an audio tech assistant.

Hands-on and just doing it is the best way to learn, man.

While this site isn't the end all be all, I found it full of a lot of information and some helpful people if you have questions.

http://billfitzmaurice.com/

Make sure you check out the forums too.

I so want to build me some of his speakers.