Starting up...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting up...

Tech Wizard

Default Starting up...

Hey everyone,

I got into DJing because i met a friend two years ago that was just starting and i see what he does now and i love it. I want to learn also. His setup is simple and only uses

a Vestax VCI 100
    M-Audio X-session pro (rarely even touches it)
    Kaos Pad (also rarely touched)

Tracktor (for live mixes)
    Logic (for production work).

I really want to get into live mixing, and since i rarely see him use anything but his VCI 100 i was wondering if that was the right thing for me to get.

Im a complete beginner so i dont have a sound card or the know how to set it up. I was wondering if you guys could 1) reccomend me a midi controller (such as the VCI 100) and 2) link me to some tutorials on getting started in DJing (such as hooking up cables for a soundcard, learning how to mix live and how to produce non-live stuff).

Thanks!

If I were starting right now, I'd get a Kontrol s4. If you get the vci used for say $350 (and I would get one with firmware 1.4, which means more realistically $4-450 used), then an audio 2 for $100 and Traktor for $140 with the LE upgrade with the audio 2, you only save a few hundred dollars. It may sound like a lot, but the s4 is an incredibly better controller, has four deck control, sample deck control, better jogwheels, ability to easily beatmatch etc. - it's a much better value. I originally bought a vci-100, and like countless people have since sold it and upgraded to the s4. It was well worth it.

Tech Wizard

The VCI 100SE has firmware 1.4 and some really cool features. But i will take a look at the S4 and see what it is like. I am assuming that the audio 2 is a soundcard, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    If I were starting right now, I'd get a Kontrol s4. If you get the vci used for say $350 (and I would get one with firmware 1.4, which means more realistically $4-450 used), then an audio 2 for $100 and Traktor for $140 with the LE upgrade with the audio 2, you only save a few hundred dollars. It may sound like a lot, but the s4 is an incredibly better controller, has four deck control, sample deck control, better jogwheels, ability to easily beatmatch etc. - it's a much better value. I originally bought a vci-100, and like countless people have since sold it and upgraded to the s4. It was well worth it.
    +1 for getting the s4...for the extra money get it because it comes with the 1-1 mapping for traktor which is very nice, comes with a sounds card, and traktor pro 2. And in the end if its not for you, you can sell it for pretty much what you picked it up for! S4 ftw
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Wizard

by the way, i am just going to be a bedroom DJ, my friend is actually trying to get into the business. I want this setup to do parties at my house and entertain myself, the S4 looks a little too fancy for me, but i am still open to it.

get an s4 (all in one solution, software, soundcard included) or a VCI100 se from djtechtools and an audio 2 soundcard (you will need to purchase software separately)

Lots of tutorials and advice right here on the forum if you dig. Welcome to DJTT
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

korg nano kontroller

Tech Wizard

i already have traktor pro, i have been practicing stuff using keyboard and mouse (lame, i know)

let's not forget the almost-released (or already?) novation twitch. if i was just starting out and so didnt feel that i needed jogs then i'd probably go for that. plus at 500$ it seems like a steal with builtin sound etc...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

there is also a newish/small/cheap controller that might or might not be of interest which i ordered to play with the other day (but havent got my hands on yet), the icon idj.

on the plus side it's nice and small and has touch sensitive jog wheels.

on the negative side it's very small and looks like a toy...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast