Ways to spice up House mixes?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ways to spice up House mixes?

Hey guys,

I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall. I'm having trouble thinking of creative ways of spicing up my electro mixes. Of course there's always FX, but what are you guys doing to make your mixes more original?

Happy Saturday!

Throw a few samples in here and there? Learn how to scratch?
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

^^I have been using samples which is dope, as far as scratching, I'm using a VCI-100 currently so no scratching capabilities really lol

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Samples, gently cue juggling. Not sure about scratching in house music.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Not sure about scratching in house music.
    That's what I was thinking too

Layers of older house classic accapellas over newer tribally tracks. I'm currently staying away from electrohouse though, it's feelin kinda played out to me.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru

change up your transitions. I think to make some good mixes, it's not so much about your ability to blend tracks, and its def. not being able to use 1000 effects. I think it's about proper track selection. Carefully pick your tracks that you do different transitions with. Maybe start a track from a breakdown when the play track also starts it's breakdown and loop it so that original track keeps "sounding" in the background. Drop an accapella during a transition and time it so that it ends right at the drop of the incoming track. A little planning with the right tracks I think makes a world of difference.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Guru

I've been mixing in hip hop acapellas lately, not full verses though. Mostly just 4-8 count loops of something catchy.

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Layers of older house classic accapellas over newer tribally tracks. I'm currently staying away from electrohouse though, it's feelin kinda played out to me.
    amen to that. Now i gotta build up the other genres of house cause if have nothing left to mix. lol
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Could also try mixing in some more off-the-wall songs and acapellas for accents. "I like big butts," songs with sexual lyrics, some Rick Astley... If nothing else, listen to some other electro mixes, particularly from DJs you know and like and you may get inspiration from there. You could also experiment with letting things fall in and out of phase, drifting, to add some syncopation - Richie Hawtin does some of this, though he works more with minimal and this would be harder with electro. You could also mess around with cue points to vary the song and do live remix type of stuff.

If nothing else, just try messing around doing random things while you practice. You never know when you'll stumble onto something that'll work for you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast