Getting a hard time cause i use a controller - Page 3
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Tech Guru

.... Ill even add to this... What about in the olden days when there was no scratching or even beat matching it was purely about the music, that being said it makes it better to dance to with one easy flow but if a computer can do a skill in point of a second is it really that great a skill, i like my shows to be about track selection no how well i can hold a beat on a 1200 because no one in the audience really gives a shit its just other djs and if they care why why whyyyyy arent they being the ones booked to play??
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

As the old saying goes:

Haters gonna hate

At the end of the day, while they're fagging around trying to perfectly beat match, you can use that time to plan ahead and not have to worry about trainwrecking your set.

The only people that care about what set up you're using are other DJs, the crowd isn't going to know/care.
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

Jack Bastard

Go back to back on your controller with someone on CDJs, show them that you can mix in situations where the sync button is useless. If you can't then you deserve the stick they're giving you.

Quote Originally Posted by tbilz View Post
    the sync button is there for a reason... to allow you to be more creative if you have it...
    No it's not - if it was it would be called a creative button.
    I'm sick of people using the more creative excuse - we press sync cos its easy.
    There's very few dj's who use controllers in the way you lot go on about - certainly over here in the UK where club dj'ing is mostly about simple transitions.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nada View Post
    If you rely on sync, you're a loser. No really, you are.
    Meh whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Cardell View Post
    Find new mates.

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    Yes..... The music :s
    +1000
    SC | MC

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    No it's not - if it was it would be called a creative button.
    I'm sick of people using the more creative excuse - we press sync cos its easy.
    There's very few dj's who use controllers in the way you lot go on about - certainly over here in the UK where club dj'ing is mostly about simple transitions.

Meh whatever

+1000

Why thankyou, but its true and people always always always forget the true meaning of djing, wether it be computer manual, computer sync, cdj 200 beat mixing, cdj 2000 cable sync or even just vinyl. There is one thing they all have in common and if the music sucks ass you are still a shit dj...... End of!
    Last edited by dj stifffy; 07-24-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Mistake
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Student

As someone who started mixing in '94 (house music scene) let me review some of the things that have been considered as "cheating", lame or whatever over the years:

* Using the cross-fader --- neeeeeevvvveeer use the cross-fader!! You'd be laughed at. Real DJ's only use the level fader.

* Mixing any master feed into the cue section. What? You can't hear only in one ear? LOOSER!

* Any "quick" mixes under ~30 seconds. Can't hold a beat mix?

* Mixing only using intros with no beats. Straight up beginner.

* Your going to use THAT <looks at CD player>?! No vinyl = no talent

* Using any turntable brand except Technics. Please!

I could go on, but it's ridiculous. It's sad I have some of these same habits, but it was born out of being surrounded by BS and stupid ideas.

I've just gotten a controller and I'm so happy to be mixing again. Who cares if SYNC is used? Really? Beat matching isn't like brain surgery... anyone can learn it with a little practice.

It's about the music and what you do with it, not how you arrive there.

Tech Wizard

Kinda had the same thing. Then I had a realization which helped me out. What is the point in going digital if I am not doing anything with my setup that someone can do on CDJ's. I then started working on things that no one DJing around me can do with their set ups, still working on it but slowly and surely I am pushing my style forward with controllers.
    Sync or no sync, I don't care, lets see you loop juggle 4 decks with 8 cues per deck and up to 12 effects running on your CDJ's .

Still like to mix on CDJ's as well

I vote we merge all the "OMG MEAN CD DJS " threads to create the biggest thread the world has ever seen.

p.s. if you don't use vinyl you're not a real dj
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Wizard

I have only been DJing for maybe a little over 6 months but heres my two cents...

My first lessons and first live performances were in Ableton using an APC40, my mentor always told me the most important thing was learning how to mix properly and not losing the crowd. After my very first performance I was told I needed to work on my phrasing so I did. Fast forward to the Fourth of the July weekend, I now have a weekly opening spot playing tech house, techno, minimal, etc. BUT that weekend was my VERY first time playing on CDJ's (Pioneer 800 mk2's if anyone is curious enough). I can say honestly the only part that was different and I had trouble with was just beatmatching, and that only took a couple songs to figure out. I did however screw up once or twice because of getting used to the more 'standard' setup.

Which do I prefer? Honestly I fell in love with the 2 deck CDJ setup, something about having to search for that next song and matching it gets me excited, not saying this is true for everyone. It also seemed right for a weekly event and the crowd was already used to seeing it done this way.

Do I miss ableton? Yeah I did a bit, but now I am trying to learn how to produce with it. What about my APC40? Well I currently have it mapped to Traktor, why, because I wanted something that was a more traditional on the fly two deck setup.

Finally let me say I can fully sympathize with being disliked because I am a controller user. The funniest thing I can say about that is this, a group of DJ's recently had brought Skrillex to my area, and they had given me shit for playing on ableton with a controller.......Now I'm not going to say Skrillex is the best damn thing since sliced bread but, how can you bash someone doing the same exact thing? (I'm guessing because hes a 'producer' and $$$$$ was involved that makes his controller 'ok')

Use whatever you have the most fun with, because if your having fun, most likely everyone else can tell.

I would ask the "real" non-sync using DJs to stop playing pre-recorded music if they think using technology is cheating. How do you think the guitarists feel about guys "performing" with CDs?

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast