Wifi keeps dropping out (Apple Airport)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wifi keeps dropping out (Apple Airport)

Hey guys, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but you guys seem much more knowledgable than me when it comes to MBP's. Can you please help me out?

Well I've been having an issue with my MBP's Airport connection for a while now. When I go online with my Wifi (Airport) it will keep disconnecting and drops out. Sometimes it disconnects and drops after a cpl of minutes and sometimes after a while but it will always disconnect at some point. Its so frustrating cos it will happen in the middle of a download or update. I've tried looking online for a solution, and I've tried a few things but nothings helped upto now.

Is there a way to fix this? My gf's MBP works fine and it never happens to her. We use the same wireless router so it can't be that. I'm all out of solutions here. What can I do? Cheers.
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

All problems I've ever had with Airport are usually sorted by closing the lid (putting it to sleep) and opening again.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    All problems I've ever had with Airport are usually sorted by closing the lid (putting it to sleep) and opening again.
    Yeah I tried that dozens of times man, but it still drops. Since I came online 10 mins ago, its dropped twice already.. :eek:

Its so damn frustrating, I don't know whats up...
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin V View Post
    Yeah I tried that dozens of times man, but it still drops. Since I came online 10 mins ago, its dropped twice already.. :eek:

Its so damn frustrating, I don't know whats up...
    What exactly have you tried already?

Some questions:
    - What router do you have?
    - How far from the router do you normally sit?
    - What's between you and the router? (Wireless phone handsets/bases, microwave, etc)
    - What security are you using on the router? WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc

If it's WEP, change it to WPA2.

If there are any thick walls or devices between you and the router, remove them.

If you sit too far or too close to the router, this can affect signal stability sometimes.

There's actually a short list of incompatible routers on Apple's support website, might want to check that.

Here's what I would do:
    - Turn Airport Off
    - Open Network Preferences
    - Select Airport -> Advanced
    - Remove all Preferred Networks
    - Use Finder and go to /Library/Preferences/ and trash the SystemConfiguration folder (if you don't see this folder, you're in the wrong Library)
    - Turn off the computer
    - If it's a MBP with removable battery, take it out, unplug it, and hold the power button down for a few seconds
    - If it has a built-in battery, plug it in, on the left side of the keyboard hold Shift+Control+Option and then press/release the power button ONCE (nothing will happen btw)
    - Turn on the computer and hold down Command+Option+P+R (right away), let go after the second chime
    - Reconnect to your network after you get back to your desktop

If the issue persists, you can make a free appointment at a Genius bar and they can diagnose any issues you have. If the issue is related to the hardware in the computer, you should definitely see it happen on other networks. Otherwise, it's your router.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Are you completely up to date on software? I seem to remember an airport problem not to long ago. Do you drop out on other wifi connections? Belmont speaks wisdom, follow his advise.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont! View Post
    What exactly have you tried already?

If the issue persists, you can make a free appointment at a Genius bar and they can diagnose any issues you have. If the issue is related to the hardware in the computer, you should definitely see it happen on other networks. Otherwise, it's your router.
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I tired everything you mentioned but nothings helped, it still drops out. I don't now whats up, maybe my Airports faulty in my MBP

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Are you completely up to date on software? I seem to remember an airport problem not to long ago. Do you drop out on other wifi connections? Belmont speaks wisdom, follow his advise.
    Yeah I have the latest updates installed 10.6.8. I recently installed some new updates the other day, all is good that side. I also read about the airport problem but mine is still upto it shenanigans.

i am 99% sure its your router i had the same problem installing a new router

the wireless connection has to be wep. for some reason airport dont play nice with wpa

if you just turn your security settings off on your router you should stay connected then you will know that its the type of security you have on thats causing the drops.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyQuiet View Post
    i am 99% sure its your router i had the same problem installing a new router

the wireless connection has to be wep. for some reason airport dont play nice with wpa

if you just turn your security settings off on your router you should stay connected then you will know that its the type of security you have on thats causing the drops.
    I don't think it could be the router as my gf doesn't have any problems with her MBP 13" and we are using the same connection.

I've looked at her airport and network settings and everything is the same, except her airport is fine and mine drops..

I'm starting to think that my MBP has a faulty airport...

Tech Guru

You can try to use a Wifi adaptor with your macbook like this bellow:

Then you can say that is a problem with your Airport hardware, not with your mac osx.

Also there are some wireless phones that can cause interference to Wi-fi networks, you can try to turn it off and see if it helps

if you have the tools and patience, open of the mac and make sure the 2 or 3 wifi cables are seated correctly and the wifi card is not loose. It was be smart to also dust or vaccum the inside of the mac.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast