Is it worth buying?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Is it worth buying?

I was all set to buy the Novation Twitch until I saw the increased price and thought "for 500 dollars I can setup a DVS!" Now a couple of weeks later I realized how faulty my thinking is. As Technics in newyork are retardedly overpriced and 'driven hard' I found myself turning towards the Numark TTX's for their ridiculous torque. Currently I use a Numark Total Control for light mixing and want to 'take my mixing to the next level.'

The latest deal on craigslist is for two Numark TTX1's (the one's that say torque hold with no heat problems), a Rane Empath Mixer, Flight Case, Ortofon Elektro styluses, slip mats, and cables for $900. Is this the type of deal to jump on? It was a bit outside my price range but for quality products you have to be willing to pay the price. I would still need to purchase a NI audio 6/8 to set it up with traktor. Whats everyone's opinions?

I'll let the Twitch fanboys handle this one.

/popcorn

Tech Wizard

Whats the general consensus of Rane mixers, and more importantly the Rane Empath? It looks plain and I was expecting to pay less for a mixer. Because Mixer technology has come a long way in 5ish years does it still pay to get the mixer?

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    I'll let the Twitch fanboys handle this one.

/popcorn
    lol, HERE I AM!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberninjitsu View Post
    I was all set to buy the Novation Twitch until I saw the increased price
    What increased price? It's always been the same.

That sounds like an OK deal, check that the styli aren't fucked. Bear in mind though that as you said, you'll need to drop a few extra hundred bucks on Traktor Scratch Pro 2 with its audio interface. I think that's like another $500-600, so more than the Twitch anyway let alone the $900 for the gear. And of course, the twitch you could actually take places and use whereas most of that gear would just sit at home.

Don't get me wrong, I really like playing with DVS, but for me the Twitch is too good a deal to pass by and a better decision if I had to decide between the 2. Which, of course, I don't
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Rane mixers are fantastic, quality wise.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

amidoinitrite

well..
    it depends on what you want.
    I love mixing on TTs BUT, I've settled on using controllers for now.. reasons
    1) portability 2 TTs + Mixer + Stand + Lights is A LOT to carry.
    with my controller setup I can through everything in a backpack and just have to worry about stands and lights.
    2) Maintenance.. w/ TTs you have to up keep needles.
    3) Vinyls.. I love vinyl so if I had TTs I'd be too tempted to blow a huge chunk of my money on vinyls.
    4) I had one show where the floor was weak and the needle would occasionally jump when people got close and started jumping. Also another I was playing outside and some strong wind came and blew the needle out of place. ..and I feel that my job, as a DJ, is to make sure those issues don't happen. So thats another perk of a controller.

I would LOVE to use TTs BUT in my current position, my best option is digital.

the twitch threads are getting to be as common as the "what should i get" ones...
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Quote Originally Posted by nuke5 View Post
    the twitch threads are getting to be as common as the "what should i get" ones...
    lol, I've only started 1 myself but I'm always in there

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    lol, I've only started 1 myself but I'm always in there
    haha i always see your name in those ones too! i just find it funny lol
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Wizard

at 400 the twitch was a steal. At 500 I'm iffy. It looks like a small step up from my Total Control and about a couple inches bigger. I know people complain about lugging gear back and forth, and I've never been in that position, but it feels like a small arguing point. I feel like in order to be taken seriously I need to bring some real tables to the 'table' (pardon the pun). Vinyls are no big deal to me but I feel like thats part of the culture which I haven't experienced. All the oldschool DJ's I know (through my dad) all run pure vinyl systems or DVS systems to keep a 'purist' mind set. I'm aware of everything the twitch does, but a lot of that can be emulated through midi controllers. I was hoping to pickup an audio 6 on the cheap and NOT worry about the cost of traktor scratch.

It's just a bit out of my price range. I mean I can afford it and probably sell it for as much as I bought it for if something comes up within the next few years. It's just an investment, and as an investor it's my job to listen to the pros and cons and do my research.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast