Another new computer question

Default Another new computer question

Ok. so moving to a new comp has not been as easy as I thought.
    I had a pc that was shitty and now I have one that can take down an elephant.
    First issue was audio latency which I fixed.
    Now the problem is with my music.
    My old pc had such little space that I had to use an external drive to store tunes. Which was ok because I had enough usb ports. Now with this new comp I only have two.
    So what is the best way to change the path of all my music? I transferred my collection over fine.
    Should I just copy my collection again, move all my music to my comps internal drive, then can I tell it where my entire collection is- now?
    Just wanna hear some thoughts, I work all the time and it's nice to figure shit out while I'm here then go home and do it quick.

While I won't tell you what's best for you, I will tell you that I have my entire library(300+ gigs) sorted by itunes on my internal drive and then imported into Traktor with playlists and have no problems what so ever.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Well if any of you had a lot of marked up tunes (loops, cues) on an external drive and wanted to get those tunes on to an internal drive what would you do?

I believe that if it's an exact copy of a track that's been analyzed, beatgridded & cued and you point Traktor to that newly copied track that everything will be fine. If you have any doubt, try it with one track first by copying it to your internal drive, removing the external and pointing Traktor to that one track when it shows up missing.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Cool.
    And this may be redundant, I just dont have my comp in front of me...
    But is ther a way to change the path of an entire collection- the whole thing at once?

Yes. Check consistency and just relocate missing tracks to the sub folder. It should rescan the new folder and find them all. I do it all the time as I have a staging folder for new tracks.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by Mixer Miyagi View Post
    Ok. so moving to a new comp has not been as easy as I thought.
    I had a pc that was shitty and now I have one that can take down an elephant.
    First issue was audio latency which I fixed.
    Now the problem is with my music.
    My old pc had such little space that I had to use an external drive to store tunes. Which was ok because I had enough usb ports. Now with this new comp I only have two.
    So what is the best way to change the path of all my music? I transferred my collection over fine.
    Should I just copy my collection again, move all my music to my comps internal drive, then can I tell it where my entire collection is- now?
    Just wanna hear some thoughts, I work all the time and it's nice to figure shit out while I'm here then go home and do it quick.
    in your audio players, itunes, rhythmbox etc, just set the folder in the prefs for traktor, ableton etc, just add the folder to your nav bar at the bottom (traktor) or left (ableton)

i keep all my music on my HDD called "calgarc" and i have a partition on my laptop called "calgarc" so for me its a direct drop, i just backup my laptops "calgarc" to my external drives "calgarc" all my samples, vst's everything

my external only ever gets used for backups now