Rant: Techie 'Forum Members'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rant: Techie 'Forum Members'

I am a techie.

I know how to use a computer. I know the ins and outs of almost everything dealing with computers. I have been doing this most of my life.

I am a DJ. I have been one for many years. I have been a Digital DJ for the last 3 as well. I know how to be a good DJ.

But more importantly and above all else, I know that I do not know everything.

Far, far from it.

I also have gone to school. I am a high school and college graduate. I know how to read. Above all else, I know that searching for answers is very easy now.

I am an active member on at least 4 Digital DJ'ing forum websites. If I know something that someone doesn't know, I help to the best of my ability. Sometimes by answering the question straight out, and other times by talking about the theory behind it.

What gets me, more than anything, are people who sign up to a forum just to ask a question that not only has been asked countless numbers of times before, but was covered in the manual for the product. Or even better yet, not checking the manufacturer's website for answers, but instead just posting a question because it's convenient for them to do so wherever they are located at the time.

As far as active members go, why do we allow this type of behavior to occur? Is it really so hard for people to use the 'Search' function present on EVERY forum? Do people honestly think they must be the only person in the whole world with ____________ problem?

Am I the only person that feels this way? Why should every person who has a question that's been answered 100 times on countless numbers of forums be coddled? I understand that we are trying to be nice and welcoming, but how does that help that person in the long run?

Anyway, that's basically my rant. Thanks. Au Revior!

au revoir

I hear you all the way bro'!

Big up!

RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Oh Tekki, no you didn't!

Thanks for the inspirational message

my 2 cents:

first I want to thanks those of you that do help a lot of our new members with basic questions. Especially when you do the following, which in my opinion is the way to handle this type of issue (which occurs on all forums)

in a short, direct manner, point them to the thread that already answers the question. Then moderators need to close comments on the duplicate thread. This helps everyone find the info, points out to the new guy they might have posted a little to fast and keeps spirits high.

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    my 2 cents:

first I want to thanks those of you that do help a lot of our new members with basic questions. Especially when you do the following, which in my opinion is the way to handle this type of issue (which occurs on all forums)

in a short, direct manner, point them to the thread that already answers the question. Then moderators need to close comments on the duplicate thread. This helps everyone find the info, points out to the new guy they might have posted a little to fast and keeps spirits high.
    No true-er words said and spoken!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Normally I would agree. But, if everyones a a-hole to new users that just signed up, this forum would eventually become an empty wasteland.

When reading forums, do the eyeroll test. If you roll your eyes at any time during the course of reading a thread, close the thread.

Valid points...seriously

'You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach him to fish and he'll eat forever'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
    Valid points...seriously

'You can give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach him to fish and he'll eat forever'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk
    One of my favourite quotes by "Arrested Development".

that video completely rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast