Key wheel I toss you window out now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Key wheel I toss you window out now

While just listening to some of my trance tracks I found a very interesting thing about key music

While mixing in key is wonderful I have come across "The Clashing" keys THAT DONT CLASH AT ALL

Apparently if you play a track that is lets say... A Minor, I found you can mix with A Major and wont clash.

At first I was like "Heh probably just those songs" Nope
    Tried going back and forth between a few song and wasnt clashing.
    Of course this may work with genres such as trance but Im not all too sure.

Using http://www.9inchremix.com/modules/He...ixingBlock.pdf

If you are on 5A you can go to 8B
    If someone would like to try it with other genres let me know how it turns out. Might turn out good or can sound like utter rubbish.

I will post some examples here in a little while.
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Detection software ain't perfect but i'm positive you can't overlay any 2 songs without taking key into account, not just beat mixing.

There is s lot more in harmonic mixing than just +/-1 or A/B

Key what key?
    I have no idea what key any of my tracks are in, I just use the "KEY" knob in Traktor to sort the problem out. Means I can mix pretty much any track together almost perfectly.

I had this conv with another Trance DJ have he uses Key charts like this and that and he also said, most Club Systems will cover up clashes so it doesn't really matter a great deal.

Its just that I do all my key matching on the fly, like someone mixing CDs or Vinyl...

With the rules of Fifths also know as Perfect Fifths you should have no problem, as long as you keep within the Majors or Minors because sometimes you might get that one odd note that can kick it off. A fifth is half way between two octaves. Yeah, I don't see what I shouldn't work for other styles of music as long as they aren't out of tune you should be fine.
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

I've said it before and I'll say it again, nice idea but the technology is shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey1B View Post
    Key what key?
    I have no idea what key any of my tracks are in, I just use the "KEY" knob in Traktor to sort the problem out. Means I can mix pretty much any track together almost perfectly.
    wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelsey1B View Post

I had this conv with another Trance DJ have he uses Key charts like this and that and he also said, most Club Systems will cover up clashes so it doesn't really matter a great deal.
    i wanna see that club system that covers up harmonic clashes! maybe it can also cover up shitty beatmatching...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Detection software ain't perfect but i'm positive you can't overlay any 2 songs without taking key into account, not just beat mixing.

There is s lot more in harmonic mixing than just +/-1 or A/B
    this

although op is right that you can usually get away with substituting a major for a minor key or vice versa, however thats about as far as it goes, i'd pick that Wheel up off the lawn if i were you cuz its still useful haha

Quote Originally Posted by earl panda View Post
    i wanna see that club system that covers up harmonic clashes! maybe it can also cover up shitty beatmatching...
    It does! I know a club owner who swears by it; it's called MyPatronsAreTooDrunkToCare
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Oh please. The wheel is bullshit, it stop you from trusting your ears and your instincts.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Quote Originally Posted by grazz16 View Post
    this

although op is right that you can usually get away with substituting a major for a minor key or vice versa, however thats about as far as it goes, i'd pick that Wheel up off the lawn if i were you cuz its still useful haha
    HAHA yeah, It's posted back up but only gonna reference off it for some songs
    Bu mainly using my ears

Mr Popincool I hat that damn wheel, thats why I found the chart, feels a bit more accurate

Lately though I havent given a shit about it though lool
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast