Newcomer after controller purchase advice
    Tech Student

Default Newcomer after controller purchase advice

Hey everyone

I'm after a bit of advice on a choice of controller. I'm only just getting into the controller scene (late I know) and a little lost as to how much I need to be spending.

My needs are pretty basic, I'm not a studio DJ and house parties are about as far as I go in terms of performing. But I'd like to get a piece of hardware thats gonna provide a bit more than just transition DJ'ing.

I've been playing around with a pals Pioneer DDJ-T1 for a while now but that thing is huge and out of my budget.

So far I've heard good things about:

- Vestax VCI-100 + Midi Fighter
    - NI Traktor Kontrol S4

The savings on the VCI-100 are a big plus but I like the full four channel mixer on the S4.
    Last edited by dpazz; 07-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Everyone expects me to say it, so I'm just gna do it and get it over with.

Have a look at the Novation Twitch. Free (very good) software, built in sound card, cheaper than the S4, good build quality, nice compact form factor.

But the S4 is also awesome and if you can afford it then I'd recommend it as a very good way to get into DJing with a controller. The layout is pretty much 1 to 1 with the Traktor software so it's easy to get your head around, and if 4 decks is a plus for you then of course it has that over the Twitch.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

current top contenders for features+price are the s4 and twitch. they both have built in sound cards and come with software.

Tech Student

Thanks for the responses, I hadn't come across the Novation Twitch so will give it some research!

Tech Guru

Use the search button!
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Mentor

No offense to DJTT community because im part of it and love it, but a lot of us use the S4 and VCI, so you will probably hear nothing but good things about it. They are great choices and ive owned both and preferred the VCI cause the small setup but i sold it. But in my opinion, search the internet for flaws of both so you know what you are working with. My example is that the VCI is basically no longer cared about by DJTT. No new overlays etc. Currently on live performances im running a launchpad with the midi fighter mapping and an S4. For about 1k there is a ton of inprovision there. It is almost instant remixing capability along with FX mapping out the a$s. However, the S4 is HUGE, compared to a normal midi controller that is. But like I said earlier the features are numerous. While you can get a VCi arcade for about $300 (just sold mine on ebay for that) I recommend buying the S4 if you are sure you want one of these two controller. Buy cheap buy twice. I bought the VCI-100 and about a month later bought an S4 because I felt it better suited my need. The only gripe I have is that the thing is rather large. I paid $150 for a magma bag just to haul the thing around.

calling all fanboys! S4!!! FTW
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Wizard

I've been following this site for quite a while. For me I knew I wanted to be using Traktor software; the Serato stuff is just too locked down, but people do like that software.

Here is what I recommend: if you have a Best Buy with a Musical Instrument portion, go in there and try out their controllers. They have all low to medium priced controllers. Then if you have a Guitar Center, you can try out all the $799+ controllers..the S4, Numark NS6, Pioneer, Denon MC6000. After which, order your gear online or get GC to price match.

Put the controller in your hand and handling the software gives you a good idea of feel. I was leaning toward the S4 until I put it in play with Denon MC6000. I went with the Denon. Smaller form factor, tighter layout but not too cramp for my chubby fingers. But my Denon investment came with the need to purchase Traktor Pro 2.

Its a beast. Its 95% metal, doesn't have a user replaceable crossfader (but I'm not a scratch DJ). With custom midi mapping out there for the Denon, I've got a choice of of 4-decks or 2-decks and 2 sample decks, 8 cue points and 8 sample loops and up to 4 FX decks. This is just enough for me to satisfy my button pushing sampling appetite for awhile before I start to consider add-on midi controllers.

I came from from vinyl background in the early 90s. I stepped away after my daughter showed up; sold all my gear and records to raise a baby. Now the itch is back and I'm upping my latent experience with digital mixers.

BTW, there is no other user forum site that has the following like DJTT. This place is pretty awesome.

Seriously, there have been at least 5 threads on this very topic in the last week, including at least one discussing the very controllers you're asking about. Use the search function.