Joining promotion companies.

Default Joining promotion companies.

I met this DJ a while back at a hookah lounge me and my buddies hit up on. I told him I produce music and I'm starting to mix as well. Well yesterday he hit me up saying hes looking for talent and he says I gained his respect from what I told him back then. He says he'll hook me up with contacts and spots on some lounges or possibly clubs (he said Boardners in hollywood as an example) if I'm down. He'll teach me the ropes on promotion as well as good DJing techniques. I don't pay, he said they'll pay me based on the number of people I bring when I spin.

To be honest, I feel pretty rushed, I've done one gig and it was a kickback with my homies. So far I've only been DJing with my setup for a month though I think I know a thing or two about mixing because I've been producing for a longer time which has helped my learning curve alot, I'm pretty nervous about this offer.

I read on http://www.digitaldjtips.com/ that its best to get yourself out there as soon as possible and I'm up for a challenge. what do you guys think? When did you guys know you were good enough?

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

once you can play shit with your eyes closed and feel comfy playing in front of people then its fine, once I felt comfy playing infront of my girlfriend (the most judgementally honest person I know) I knew I was ready to go live... its all about comfort zones, if you know your music you'll be fine.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Quote Originally Posted by dj stifffy View Post
    once you can play shit with your eyes closed and feel comfy playing in front of people then its fine, once I felt comfy playing infront of my girlfriend (the most judgementally honest person I know) I knew I was ready to go live... its all about comfort zones, if you know your music you'll be fine.
    I agree. I can say I'm passionate about the music I play. Thanks man glad to hear what u said.

Progressive Dutch House
    Tumblr Music Blog
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

Glad to help , just treat it like your playing at home with a couple friends hanging out, most of the time people dont even know where the dj booth is, so where you might think everyones watching you and get really nervous, people prob dont even realise you are there.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Tech Guru

just be sure ur not being exploited...i know u dont have to pay him, but ur getting paid based on how many people u bring...over here we call that a BBB dj (Backup Bus Bringer), i.e. if the promotor is shit or isnt expecting many punters to turn up, he'll have a list of dj's he knows he can book to do a 'warmup' who will also bring about 50 paying mates...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

If you are not ready then don't do it. Its ok to be nervous and whatever, just be sure you are ready to play.

And yes careful with promotors. Sometimes they can be nice, and sometimes they are just trying to bone you for a quick buck.

In a nice professional way ask him "whats in it for you?"

I was taught by a guy who told me one day you'll see someone with a gift for something and you wanna help them achieve it because your giving the gift back just like you have/had or will have someone in your life help you be who you are.

you gotta look at it in a deep way, kinda touching/profound. some people wanna make money off you some want to genuinely help. find out this guy. best of luck.
    Beatslicing for the bitches