Kontrol S4 - Setup - Newb Questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Kontrol S4 - Setup - Newb Questions

Hello everyone,

For the past year, I've been DJing with Ableton Live but I've finally called it quits with Ableton (for DJing) and I will be switching over to Traktor. I am now looking at purchasing a new setup for under $1000 that will hopefully last me for at least 2 years. I DJ house/electrohouse and top 40 tracks therefore I will not need to scratch. Portability is important to me. Right now, I'm considering the Kontrol S4.

Here are some questions I have:

1. Are there any cons to the Kontrol S4? The only one I've come across are that you can't use it as a standalone mixer.

2. I own a Launchpad. Will that have any compatibility issues with the Kontrol S4?

3. Is mapping the Launchpad as easy as mapping in Ableton?

4.What are some other options are there for setups for under $1000? Having jogwheels would be nice.

Does the Kontrol S4 sound about right for me? Is there anything I need to watch out for? If you guys have any questions for me that will help me with finding the right gear, feel free to ask!

Thank you in advance,
    box801

Tech Mentor

Like someone will say... what about twitch ??

it comes with serato itch that's a good software ( no jogs but it's smaller bringing s4 to club isn't easy ) ... some djs integrate the s4 with a louchpad and you can find some really cool mapping 4 it in this forum and also in traktorbible.com

the s4 is a bit overstimated but it's my thought

cheers

Tech Convert

Thanks for the reply Dave DJ. You commented on the S4 being too large for the club although the places I DJ always have enough space for me and the size of the S4 would not be a problem. Its just that I don't want to carry around 2 CDJ's and a large mixer that are more likely not to fit where I DJ.

You also suggested Twich which I've looked at, but Novation stuff is a little to plasticy for me (exception for the Launchpad). I've also head about compatibility problems with setting up other MIDI devices with Itch so I'd like to stay away from that software solution.

The great thing about the S4 is the current free upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro 2 which I do not have (I do not own Traktor software yet).
    Last edited by box801; 07-29-2011 at 12:34 PM.

I'm getting my S4 any minute now so I know more this weekend about the whole S4 system. But basically the Traktor/S4 integration was that sold me. I don't want to spend hours custom-configure MIDI controllers and work around issues.

Tech Mentor

@box so get your s4 !!

Quote Originally Posted by box801 View Post
    1. Are there any cons to the Kontrol S4? The only one I've come across are that you can't use it as a standalone mixer.
    If you have a Windows computer, but no idea how to work with a computer, you may have troubles getting the computer to work right with the sound card. If you know your way around your computer, you can usually solve most problems. If you own an Apple, no worries there.

Another downside is a missing booth output. Other than that, the S4 is top equipment.

2. I own a Launchpad. Will that have any compatibility issues with the Kontrol S4?
    Nope. I use the Machine with the S4. Works like a champ.

3. Is mapping the Launchpad as easy as mapping in Ableton?
    It is pretty easy to map midi controllers to Traktor. And there are pre-made maps online you can download, like the person before me said.

4.What are some other options are there for setups for under $1000? Having jogwheels would be nice.
    Numark NS6
    Reloop Jocky 3 (only two channel)
    Vestax VCI or Typhoon (only two channel)
    Denon DN-MC6000
    Pioneer DDJ1 (a bit more expensive than $1000)

And a list from NI of other controllers.

http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php

Does the Kontrol S4 sound about right for me? Is there anything I need to watch out for? If you guys have any questions for me that will help me with finding the right gear, feel free to ask!
    I have the S4 and I can honestly say it is worth the money. Plug-n-Play with Traktor is great and it is chock full of features.

scamo

Tech Convert

I own a Windows 7 computer. Is it the soundcard or the S4 driver that has issues? I own an Audiofire 4 AI so if there are any issues with the S4 soundcard, I can use my Audiofire 4 instead.

Yeah, driver is the issue, if you use the S4 sound card.

scamo

Tech Mentor

I've no prolem with mine ( really hope not to start having issues by now )

The driver issue is only a problem for some people and usually turning off the WiFi is the solution for those with an issue.

scamo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast