Where to put beatgrid markers in TPro2

Default Where to put beatgrid markers in TPro2

So should I be putting the grid markers at the begging of the waveform, say of a kick drum or should I be putting the markers where TPro 2 suggests, a little bit into the waveform? This has been confusing me because I usually just drop them at the very very beginning of a wave form, be it a snare or whatever.

So which is "right" or more accurate, my way or traktor's?

Tech Mentor

I always use the "tick" feature... makes sure your beats are perfectly on point.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

What exactly is that and how do I enable it?

Tech Mentor

Here is a great tutorial which includes the "tick" feature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ1IHZWhvc4
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

For me I just put a beat marker at the first kick, lock it with the little pad lock icon then do my cue points.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I put it where it needs to be to get the tick to line up. 90% of the time T2 is on the money with where it think it needs to be. Be sure to uncheck set grid marker as hotcue in preferences to free up cue point 1.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Hi Guys,

How do you handle songs with vocal intros.
    I find that the beatgrid messes this up for me.
    If I grid the vocal part th 1st kick is on beat 2 3 or 4.
    If I grid the 1st beat, a part of the vocal intro is cut away.

Any ideas for that.
    I also find some track drifting way off.

It's just a few tracks, mostly my grids are good with the use of the tick.

Thanks

if your grid drifts off ive found that it generally on older songs, i personally like the grid being in place of cue point 1, but on the older tracks i will just set another grid where it drifts off and map it to cue 1 also. i recently did a 90's night, lots of my really old house is taken from vynil as i love how the sound is carried over, but on a few tracks i had to set 4 or 5 grids, all mapped to the first to keep the rest of the cue points free.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Quote Originally Posted by brian_johnstone View Post
    if your grid drifts off ive found that it generally on older songs, i personally like the grid being in place of cue point 1, but on the older tracks i will just set another grid where it drifts off and map it to cue 1 also. i recently did a 90's night, lots of my really old house is taken from vynil as i love how the sound is carried over, but on a few tracks i had to set 4 or 5 grids, all mapped to the first to keep the rest of the cue points free.
    What brian_johnstone wrote. On some songs you may need to place multiple beatmarkers if it starts to stray from the tempo. No human is perfect, so non-electronic produced music will usually end up being this way.

The grid will be "accurate" when you can see each of the ticks of the grid lining up with the peaks in the waveform. The grid adjusts to the bpm from wherever you placed your beatmarker, so if it's computer produced music with a computer-perfect tempo, the first beat should be fine for maintaining an "accurate" beat grid. Look for yourself to be sure.

As far as a vocal intro, the tempo of the vocals may be different than the tempo at the first beat, but try to see if you can figure it out for yourself using the tick or a metronome.

The number of beatmarkers I use, and where I place them, really changes depending upon the song or genre of music. For most hip hop, I set it to either be on the first beat, or the first snare-- wherever the "1" is. On songs where the tempo changes, I obviously put a new beatmarker wherever that tempo change is. Occasionally on some amateur produced tracks, I notice that the tempo may stay the same, but some sections drift off of the grid (eg, after a break). In the case of the amateur tracks, I simply place another beatmarker at the start of the new section that is off of the grid.

On cue-points. I map the beatmarkers to of course help traktor keep my different songs in sync, but I try to use them as points to beat-juggle as well whenever possible.