Someone using Air Display with iPad for extending the desktop?
    Tech Guru

Default Someone using Air Display with iPad for extending the desktop?

Just wondering if someone is using the Air Display app for iPad:
    http://avatron.com/apps/air-display

If you never heard of it, it turns your iPad into additional monitor, on which you can easily run extra software like Maschine or Live or anything else ...

By default, it works over WiFi network, which is bound to have latency. Since Apple don't give out-of-the-box option to run network over the USB cable, I'm wondering how usable would this be with WiFi ...

Tech Guru

if you get mywi it means you can use a cable connection, the cable you get with ipad to be precise, i got this yesterday for using touch osc since my wifi on laptop drops out a lot, ive got it down to 1ms so its pretty good. Ill try it with air display later though seems like something I could use in the studio, used to have air display but found it really slow, but since its already purchased might be worth a redownload
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

I found air display to cut out over addhoc quite frequently so wired would be sweet. But my biggest problem with air display is it turns your Mac/Pc in to the secondary screen meaning the the Ipad/Iphone become the main screen, is there any way to make the Ipad/Iphone the secondary screen?

Mocha VNC is a really stable app thats very simple to set up, the mouse and keyboard control is very slow plus it only duplicates your main screen. The Lite version is free so it's worth a look

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Before buying it, check your mac isn't listed as incompatible in Air Display's site.

Tech Guru

the mywi app is probably the best choice - the 1ms seems instant and also the cable connection could probably provide higher bandwidth, which would be good for the display purpose.

@Dubba Dutch: You can specify which is your primary display in both Mac & Win.

On Mac, it's in Settings -> (Hardware)Display -> Arrangement (tab). You will see your screens as blue areas. From there, you can move them to reflect the physical arrangement (side left/right and up/down). The primary state is defined with the menu bar (usually on top of one of the screens) - it's a white ribbon on one of the blue areas. Moving the ribbon to any of the screens will make that screen the primary.

On Windows, it's in display settings. Don't have one around to confirm the exact steps, but you can also move to adjust the arrangement and the primary is controlled with a checkbox.

The VNC apps are nice for many purposes, but I'm more looking for a second monitor solution. It appears that iPad could really do a good job for this too, so that's an additional +1 to justify the purchase of one

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Before buying it, check your mac isn't listed as incompatible in Air Display's site.
    my model is on the black list for Lion. i haven't upgraded yet, but will certainly do at some point. I hope Apple will take care of the driver compatibility issue ...