Macbook won't turn on after upgrading ram... Any suggestions?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Macbook won't turn on after upgrading ram... Any suggestions?

Hello all!
    So I've upgraded the ram on my macbook from 512meg to 4gb and now it won't switch on. To make things worse putting the original ram back inside the laptop doesn't resolve the problem.
    I made sure it was the right type of ram for my mac so I know thats not the problem, and I'm aware you have to press pretty damn hard to get the ram actually connected to the computer, but it seems pretty well bedded in so I don't think it's that either?
    Any help would be greatly apriciated!
    Alex.

Maybe you can visit the nearest Apple Store or call the support line.
    AIAIAI TMA-1 | Shure SE-215-K | VCI-380 | 2x Xone:K2 | Xone:62 | Audio 10 | NI TSP 2 | Roland TR-8 | Ableton Live 9 | Komplete 10 | MBP 13" | Saffire Pro 14 | 2x Eve SC205

did you wear an anti static wrist band to earth yourself?

Tech Mentor

Yeah earthed my self before hand, the mac does turn on, you can here it working it just doesn't load up the OS. So I'm guessing it isn't connected to the ram.
    I'm going to go into the apple store at some point this week, but I imagine I'm going to have to pay for anything they do as apple care ran out a while ago.
    I was just wondering if there was anything I could do in the mean time!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Let us double check that you got the correct RAM for you. What computer do you have? What RAM did you get?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Well I bought the mac off ebay under the impression it was a late '08 model (as thats what it says on my receipt), but I've just checked the seriel number on the internet and have been informed its an '06 mac. Think I'm going to raise this one with ebay. Not too impressed right now.
    Has anyone had any experience with making a complaint on ebay? I'm sure its fairly streight forward to do. Ergh I'm so annoyed.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

if that's the case the RAM is wrong and something may have gotten broken when you forced the new RAM into it. That's not your fault, so I would definitely take it up with ebay.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by alexfells View Post
    Well I bought the mac off ebay under the impression it was a late '08 model (as thats what it says on my receipt), but I've just checked the seriel number on the internet and have been informed its an '06 mac. Think I'm going to raise this one with ebay. Not too impressed right now.
    Has anyone had any experience with making a complaint on ebay? I'm sure its fairly streight forward to do. Ergh I'm so annoyed.

Sucks! Sorry to hear you got scammed off of someone. Most likely something got damaged by putting in the wrong ram.

amidoinitrite

Ebay has great buyer protection.
    Go to the item and to the far right there will be a little drop down.. click that, then click open case. From there you select the issues you have having.. in your case, item not as described.
    Ebay does recommend that you talk with the seller before you open a case,
    but.. if they are willing to lie in a listing then they probably aren't going to be will to work this out reasonably. But maybe it was just an honest mistake.

Yeah, take it up with ebay...and never force the ram in it should go in easy...its always good to unplug the laptop and disconnect battery before ram change too so u don't accidentally turn it on during the process
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast