Nobody wants to work at it anymore? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    If someone came up to me and said are you a musician i'd say "no, i'm a dj"

I don't think being a musician automatically makes for a better dj... doesn't help you read a crowd and pull out the right song selection for the mood in the place. Doesn't help with stage presence...

It helps with producing, no doubt
    I think it does help with stage presence and nerves providing you play for an audience, it helps with knowing keys depending on your ability, helps with breaking down songs into different instruments, it opens up your musical taste to more then just edm.

I personally think if I didnt play instruments I wouldnt appreciate music as much.

Drums help people with timing, im pretty sure a drummer would make a fairly good cue point juggler, being a bassist helps with rythm and once midi guitars get better im pretty sure you will see "slash" style solo scratching.

All in all we have a love for music regardless of being a dj, musician, producer or just a clubber.
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

I'm not saying it hurts... I agree, plenty of crossover skills.

i just personally don't play an instrument but i know I have a proper feel for djing and a love for music. I have been djing over 15 years and always rock it.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what key a song is in from ear but i know when two songs blend musically. 8/10 the song i instinctively pick next when playing out seems to fit in key... if it doesn't though i make it work by dropping on the instrumental sections cause i trust my instict rather than let the "key" dictate the flow and mix.

I've always felt i've got a knack for putting on the right song for the right moment and being able to read a room of people...

Not saying if i could play an instrument i'd be any worse or better but i don't think one leads directly to the other.

I've heard MJ Cole dj and he's awful and he's incredibly musically gifted and classically trained.

Just sayin
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    On top of that, every time I open beatport it shouts out at me "Hey! You know that label that always releases tracks that you love? Well, they just released some more tracks for you to check out!" pensive hardware is obviously far too much to ask for.
    Exactly

It even kindly orders the music into a top 100 format which can then be even further organised according to genre of music.

And when you click on your favourite genre(s) it then has a load of DJs and producers top ten of that week.

It isn't even remotely difficult for people to search for good music if they bothered their arses trying to find it.
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

In the words of Johnny Drama "I got into this business so I wouldn't have to work"
    .. and the gen-y sentiment echoes on

Quote Originally Posted by Grifff View Post
    Exactly

It even kindly orders the music into a top 100 format which can then be even further organised according to genre of music.

And when you click on your favourite genre(s) it then has a load of DJs and producers top ten of that week.

It isn't even remotely difficult for people to search for good music if they bothered their arses trying to find it.
    TBH, I find it harder to find good music now. I used to walk into my local record shops every week and the guys new the sort of shit I would like and hand me a stack to go through.

Now I have to spend hours wading through endless dross to find the good stuff. And there's a lot more stuff to go through too than vinyl days...

Having to get tunes pressed up on vinyl was like a dross filter

Just sayin

I think a live chat service with dudes on beatport / juno would be wicked. If you could get to know someone and they get to know you etc.

Probably unrealistic but it's a good idea
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciar2001 View Post
    when i started i got a 10 minute lesson from a good friend on how to use 1210's that was it!
    Similar situation to me, I was at a house party and was listening to my friend explaining to another how to beatmatch and use a cd deck.

6 months later, I went out and bought 2 Citronic MP3CD-S3's and a Behringer DJX 700, all the time still remembering what he said and learnt to beatmatch and DJ from trial and error. I then later on progressed to buy one Pioneer 800mk2, and then another later still.

Whereas, another friend who was interested in DJing before I was, went out straight away without even considering any options and bought 2 Pioneer 800 mk2's and the Behringer mixer that I ended up buying many months later. He then realised that DJing was hard and that you couldn't beatmatch perfectly on your first go so he got bored of it and sold them

Now I have to spend hours wading through endless dross to find the good stuff. And there's a lot more stuff to go through too than vinyl days...
    Yeah, you do have a point. Countless hours have been spent on beatport

I think a live chat service with dudes on beatport / juno would be wicked. If you could get to know someone and they get to know you etc.

Probably unrealistic but it's a good idea
    I'd like to see this implemented. Fat chance though

Quote Originally Posted by Grifff View Post
    Whereas, another friend who was interested in DJing before I was, went out straight away without even considering any options and bought 2 Pioneer 800 mk2's and the Behringer mixer that I ended up buying many months later. He then realised that DJing was hard and that you couldn't beatmatch perfectly on your first go so he got bored of it and sold them
    Which meant you could pick up on some barely used kit for a far lower price.

Sometime the clueless types fwith more cash than sense do do us a favour ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I think following of interest items on the music sites help to weed it out, but there's still way more crap to go through.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

and nothing is more common then the words

" cool music what program did you use "

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast