ICON iDJ First Impressions - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Tech Wizard

hey, nice to find this online, thx for posting!

big question, do you have the tsi file for traktor?
    I don't know how to map the jog wheels, yeah I'm kind of retarded with midi mapping :P

but I would like to learn and if I see the file I'm sure I will figure it out! ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    hey, nice to find this online, thx for posting!

big question, do you have the tsi file for traktor?
    I don't know how to map the jog wheels, yeah I'm kind of retarded with midi mapping :P

but I would like to learn and if I see the file I'm sure I will figure it out! ;D
    cheers sorry i don't have their tsi file. just had a look on their site but couldn't see it there either.

the jog wheels do send out quite a bit of data and are different depending on whether u have scratch mode enabled or not. i don't have any kind of full mapping for it at the moment.

seems they renamed a few things in this new version of traktor but what i do have in my mapping are these (will plug in my idj later and have a proper look/edit):

* Ch01.Note.A#2/jog touch/button/hold
    * Ch01.CC.016/scratch/encoder/relative/3Fh
    * Ch01.CC.018/seek position/encoder/relative/3Fh (modifier... deck play=off)
    * Ch01.CC.018/jog turn/encoder/relative/4Fh (modifier... deck play=on)
    * Ch01.Note.A#3/tempo bend/up
    * Ch01.Note.B3/tempo bend/down

don't think i changed any of the midi notes being sent out etc by my idj but am not sure at all what state the tsi was in last time i played with it those settings are for deck A btw.

the jogs work really nicely when mapped properly - i should have time to plug mine in later and check. then i can attach whatever mini tsi i have that works etc.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Not sure if anyone's still listening but just in case. I have just bought an Icon iDJ, and the jog wheels are slightly loose - they wobble so that the side of each wheel moves up and down by 1-2mm. Is this normal and OK?

I'm going to travel to Addis Ababa with it in 8 days so if it is faulty I need to get it exchanged promptly!

Thanks hugely

EDIT: Thanks hugely for all this information - was the main factor in my choosing it.

Edit 2: Has anyone seen the lid/cover for sale? The iDJ seems to have grooves along the top and bottom for a lid, but I can't find one for sale.
    Last edited by technicaltitch; 12-14-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by technicaltitch View Post
    Not sure if anyone's still listening but just in case. I have just bought an Icon iDJ, and the jog wheels are slightly loose - they wobble so that the side of each wheel moves up and down by 1-2mm. Is this normal and OK?

I'm going to travel to Addis Ababa with it in 8 days so if it is faulty I need to get it exchanged promptly!

Thanks hugely

EDIT: Thanks hugely for all this information - was the main factor in my choosing it.
    cheers doesn't seem to be much info anywhere about this little controller really which i still find odd.

just tried mine and if i actually grab onto each side of a jog and try to move it i guess it moves by about 1 to 2mm. never noticed before and it doesn't move when using them normally.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Hey Zestoi thank you again!!

Yours sounds exactly the same as mine: Nothing that would affect use, just noticable when playing about and admiring a shiny new Christmas-present-to-self!

Not a lot about, very odd as it is a brilliant little gadget - I suppose not the high margin gear that attracts journalists. That said, not many controllers have such a detailed dissection available on the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by technicaltitch View Post
    Hey Zestoi thank you again!!

Yours sounds exactly the same as mine: Nothing that would affect use, just noticable when playing about and admiring a shiny new Christmas-present-to-self!
    ah sure, worth checking it out. nice new present-to-self too

Not a lot about, very odd as it is a brilliant little gadget - I suppose not the high margin gear that attracts journalists. That said, not many controllers have such a detailed dissection available on the internet!
    true i was bored and people had asked for them i think. not planning on pulling it part again mind u...

i think the jogs are great and it packs a whole bunch of controls into a very small size. some of the pots are fiddly to use - but would still be useful if that's all i had at the time - tho i find it easier to just not map the ones that are too close to the jogs.

i did attach some taller caps but couldn't *quite* get them to fit properly, so until i file out the insides a bit of those new caps i'm stuck with the stock ones. having slightly taller/thinner/more-rubbery caps on really helped a lot tho.

i find it very odd that the numark dj2go has had some fairly decent reviews as a portable control surface but not the idj. there again has it had *any* reviews??

edit: i also still really like it's midi (apart from the lack of led feedback) like:

* each pot sends out a sep noteon message at the center spot as well as the usual cc's - good for resetting a filter etc

* in scratch mode the jogs send out a note off when u release as well as another after u release and it stops spinning... handy for vinyl emulation type stuff. spin backs etc. plus u have the more normal relative mode jog stuff for pitch bend when using the outside of the jogs. all very coo....

they really put some decent thought into the midi anyway, which is an area you'd think they'd skimp on for a budget controller.
    Last edited by zestoi; 12-14-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Mapping for Traktor, that I found on iCon official website.

Guys, did you find a way to set and use hotcues with iDJ? iMapTM software (that also can be found on official website) seems not very user-friendly (to me though) for remapping...

Are you using layers? It provides 4 layers of bindings, so seems like you can have as many as 64 buttons in total. But how to map them properly?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Unit itself is very cool, btw. I like it

Quote Originally Posted by areskz View Post
    Mapping for Traktor, that I found on iCon official website.

Guys, did you find a way to set and use hotcues with iDJ? iMapTM software (that also can be found on official website) seems not very user-friendly (to me though) for remapping...

Are you using layers? It provides 4 layers of bindings, so seems like you can have as many as 64 buttons in total. But how to map them properly?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Unit itself is very cool, btw. I like it
    cheers for attaching their tsi. the last time i tried to download that from their website it didn't work for some reason.

the imap software seems ok - tho u don't really need to use it if you're using it with traktor. more for when u need to adjust what midi the idj sends out. with learn in traktor there's no real need for that.

i haven't used layers yet with it - certainly not via the builtin layers anyway. i think there's a lot of controls in a very small space, so if i added extra layers i'd bound to use the wrong one...

Thanks for reply, zestoi

Looks lke I don't really know how to map something in Traktor...

And what about hotcues? Have you ever used any of iDJ's controls to set and use hotcues?

Quote Originally Posted by areskz View Post
    Thanks for reply, zestoi

Looks lke I don't really know how to map something in Traktor...

And what about hotcues? Have you ever used any of iDJ's controls to set and use hotcues?
    not my idj no - but they just send out midi so will be the same as any other controller.

main (only) reason i wouldn't use the idj for hotcues is that they don't have led feedback - so traktor can't light up any that have hot cues stored in them.

the idj buttons just light up when u press them.

with the pretty great midi implementation the idj has i still find it very odd that it doesn't support led feedback over midi.

you'd just want to map a "select_set_store_hotcue" for each button to make them work as hotcues, optionally adding a modifier of value=0 so you can then add a 2nd mapping of "delete_hotcue" to the same button when the modifier value=1

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast