Beginners road bike for a big bugger ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beginners road bike for a big bugger ...

Ahoy,

I've got an off road bike (a 2008 Trek 6300 which is rather nice) as I used to do a load of offroad biking when I was a kid. The thing is even with slicks it's not exactly nippy on the road, and as I do far more road cycling than anything else, I'm considering getting a road bike to commute on, and to go out with my mates who are mostly roadies.

Thing it I'm a big lad (6'5" and around 17 stone / 240 lbs) so I'm going to need a big bike, and as I'm only starting out, I don't want to spend a fortune (£250 ish) so I was after a second hand one.

I've looking at the Specialized Allez/Giant Defy/Trek 1.x range.

Anything else I should consider?
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

They both look to come with 105 and the same wheels so ride is going to be the biggest deciding factor I think. The smaller rear triangle on the Giant will be a stiffer, but more responsive ride than the Allez I think, something you're probably not interested in. I've always liked Specialized more than Giant fwiw.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

I was mostly concerned with frame geometry. My height is mostly in my back (I've only got a 34" inside leg) so I'm assuming I'd need a long top tube, or an extension on the stem ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    They both look to come with 105 and the same wheels so ride is going to be the biggest deciding factor I think. The smaller rear triangle on the Giant will be a stiffer, but more responsive ride than the Allez I think, something you're probably not interested in. I've always liked Specialized more than Giant fwiw.
    I'm drawn towards the Specialized and the Trek, just as I've had good experiences with their bikes (I owned a Rockhopper before it got nicked at Uni ...)

The Specialized's geometry will probably suit you better and the entry level Specialized is more of a Specialized than the Trek is a Trek. The Specialized's geometry will also give you a more stable front end if you need to extend the stem.
    356 reasons why

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    The Specialized's geometry will probably suit you better and the entry level Specialized is more of a Specialized than the Trek is a Trek. The Specialized's geometry will also give you a more stable front end if you need to extend the stem.
    Cheers chap

Now to find a cheap one close to me on eBay ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    Cheers chap

Now to find a cheap one close to me on eBay ...
    Ride safe mate.
    356 reasons why

i just got rid of my hardtail mountain bike and bought myself a felt qx75 hybrid and i love it. So much better to ride on the roads compared to the mountain bike and thats all i do tbh so it suits me now.
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

I would say that you should aim for a road bike with a high quality steel frame. Steel is really good for big guys because it absorbs most of the shock, making a buttery smooth ride. Plus, i'll never break

something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surly-Long...item19c717db3f

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    I would say that you should aim for a road bike with a high quality steel frame. Steel is really good for big guys because it absorbs most of the shock, making a buttery smooth ride. Plus, i'll never break

something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Surly-Long...item19c717db3f
    cheers for the advice, but that one is a little out of my price range - had a kid about 2 months ago so the budget for shiny toys now goes on nappies and babygros ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast