New MacBook Air & Fast Track Pro
    Tech Mentor

Default New MacBook Air & Fast Track Pro

So first off, I love my new MacBook Air (13", 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD)... it's blistering fast on everything that I've tested it with. I love the changes/additions to Lion, they've done some great tweaks (Note: I did skip Snow Leopard).

But... my Fast Track Pro is giving terrible distortion. iTunes it's very low distortion (mostly heard in background)... but in Traktor Pro 2 (set at 44k or 48k) the distortion is over whelming. Below is my post on M-Audio's forums... any suggestions would be appreciated. Also if anyone else has tested other sound devices (NI Audio series, etc).

http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread...ew-Macbook-Air

amidoinitrite

you check latency settings?

Tech Mentor

I never adjusted those yet, they were just at a default (total being just over 10ms). But I don't know if it will make a difference since the audio issue occurs outside of Traktor too... it is noticeable in iTunes and other system sounds in general, just not as much.

Ground Loop Hum - does it occur with your Mac unplugged?
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Yeah, I checked that too. Here's the list of items I tried.

I've tried with my Vestax TR-1 USB DJ controller disconnected... I've uninstalled/reinstalled the Fast Track Pro drivers... I've tried different USB cables... I've tried with and without the MacBook Air's power cable connected... I've tried setting Traktor to 44kHz and 48kHz... nothing has given any change to the distortion. Headphones direct to the MacBook Air's audio out (without the Fast Track Pro) gives no distortion in any program.

Only thing I haven't tried, is to obtain a AC Adapter for the Fast Track Pro and see if that helps. I may check my local music shop to see if they have one... as long as I can return it if it doesn't help.

Tech Mentor

Oh... got a response from a M-Audio forum admin...

"We are currently investigating this issue that occurs with newer Intel Core i Series processors; for now, go to Apple's System Preferences > M-Audio Fast Track Pro Control Panel, and set the control panel for 16 bit."

I'll test that once home after work today.

Tech Mentor

Oh also found this, for anyone interested. In the Known Issues KB, under Fast Track Pro...

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...6a22840bbb8a0b

Issue: Output noise when control panel is set to 24-bit on new Mac’s with Intel Core i series processors.

Workaround: Go to Apple's System Preferences > M-Audio Fast Track Pro Control Panel, and uncheck "Outputs 3&4 (S/PDIF and unbalanced)". You can also set the control panel to 16 bit and choose 24-bit in your DAW application.