How many DJs use windows? - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ToOntown View Post
    I own both Apple and PC. I have an Asus gaming laptop running Win7, but I use the MBP most because I get lower latency on it with my sound card. Either one works with my setup, so it's nice to have one as a backup.

The MBP gives me ~2ms of latency but the PC gives me ~15ms.
    ouch that sucks

I get 9.5 on my far much cheaper HP laptop

Oh yeah I can even keep wifi on for some reason O_o
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Mentor

So just out of interest, other than the HP envy and sony vio, what other window based laptops do people recommend? I've heard good things about IBM thinkpads, I used to have one and there pretty much indestructible.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by alexfells View Post
    So just out of interest, other than the HP envy and sony vio, what other window based laptops do people recommend? I've heard good things about IBM thinkpads, I used to have one and there pretty much indestructible.
    Samsung netbook, since traktor 2 never had audio glitches, its perfect size for a dj laptop for 2 deck mixing because you can kind of hide it out of the way
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

I recomend Dell Alienware . they are sturdy and highends can have SSDs built in
    Dell Inspiron 15r,4 gig ram,720HDDSerato Itch,Pioneer DDJTS1,Pioneer HDJ500
    Ableton Suite ,Akai Apc40,Akai LPD8,LPK25,NI Audio 2
    The Echo Reflex(T.E.RF)http://www.mixcloud.com/TERF/

Quote Originally Posted by michaeldunne109 View Post
    I have seen those Vaio's they sure do stand out.
    well im running on vaio and i haz been on past 2 models as well.. my gf dj runs on vaiio... they are fine, though their trafo unit (power charger) sucks so bad. their hum is out of this world... better to get different one before trying to solve ground loop.
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII

Tech Guru

Thinkpads are solid laptops. And if you can afford it, Rain laptops are great.

Technically it does matter, but only in one way.

OSX has CoreAudio, which makes it very easy to do stable, low-latency audio drivers.

Windows (even Win 7) doesn't have anything equivalent, so manufacturers of audio gear have to work harder for less consistent results.

(Much the same is true of MIDI, but MIDI is less prone to going wrong than audio).

Everything else is a matter of preference. Apples happen to have industrial design that's very good for DJing (lightweight, metal enclosures, backlit keys, etc) but other OEMs produce similarly suited machines.

Windows here, but why go for Mac when Windows works on par with a Mac and is cheaper?
    PLEASE don't start talking to about MAC vs PC but I've run a Mac & PC side-by-side using Traktor and I really haven't noticed any difference. Only a slight loading time on tracks but that's nothing. Both laptops were using NI soundcards so it was a fair test. Couldn't hear much, if at all any difference.

Dose it really matter though? Just matters how well you can use it and play a good set!
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Quote Originally Posted by MuzicFreq View Post
    ouch that sucks

I get 9.5 on my far much cheaper HP laptop

Oh yeah I can even keep wifi on for some reason O_o
    I set my soundcard at 5.9ms and that seems to work fine for me. Try not to set anything over about 10ms because then you start to notice the delay
    | HP Laptop | Traktor Pro | Denon DN-MC6000 | Akai MPD24 & LPD18 | Pioneer HDJ-1500 | AKG K181 | 2x Stanton C.324 |

Tech Mentor

Mac here.

Coming from a HP Envy, found a reduction in latency and an increase in stability.

Easier to manage MIDI within OS X than Windows 7.

Had my MBP 17" open on the couch handle just last night, got up and watched it fall lid-first on the power adaptor. Nice dent in side of the lid. Put it against my knee and straightened it out: good as new.

No other laptop I own would have (or, err, has) survived something like that without some permanent niggle.

That said, Sony VAIO and IBM ThinkPad machines are suh-weet.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast