After being released 11 months ago, is the S4 still King?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default After being released 11 months ago, is the S4 still King?

Hey DJTT,
    I've finally saved up enough money to upgrade my setup to the Kontrol S4 : )
    I've been reading reviews since the launch date and reading threads about the S4 on here as well, but after 11 months is the S4 still the best? With the Novation Twitch being released in a few weeks, are some of you getting bored/tired with your S4 or feel that it's not worth it? I've looked at alternatives such as the MC6000 and the DDJt1, and the S4 seems like the best out of the lot. Any insight/ideas would help a lot.
    P.S. Thanks a lot DJTT for giving feedback on mixes, advice, mappings, and just being an awesome community : )

I had the same questions a month or so back and I'd say the answer is YES! only had mine a few weeks and I'm still finding new things I can do, LOVE IT!

Twitch for me was a no go, I like jog wheels and Pioneer efforts are to big for carrying to gigs for me
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

If you want a midi controller with 1:1 traktor control, a more traditional set up, and a first rate build - there is really no other choice. Otherwise there are plenty of better choices out there. I'm not gonna lie I really liked my S4 when I had it, but I never really fell in love with it. It did exactly what I wanted it to do and did it pretty much flawlessly at the perfect price point, but I don't think I'd tell anyone it was great. There was something about it that just...lacked...and I could never and still cant put my finger on what.

I think it's the fact that it tries to mimic something it really can't - which is CDJ's and a mixer or TT's and a mixer. There is just something about the fact that it looks to mimic this instead of change the way you work as a DJ that is disappointing because at the end of the day you'd rather have the real thing. Access to cue points and sample decks on the first layer was good but not perfect.

The DDJ-T1 looks nice but for the price you can get a real mixer and TT/CDJ setup.

I am on the fence about controller now. I might miss the portability of the S4 but I doubt it.

I bought my S4 on release date and have to say I am still super happy with it. It's way more portable than my previous setup and I love the tight Traktor integration. The Novation Twitch does look like a great controller and since I don't really use my Jog Wheels much, I have to admit that I really like what they have come up with. However, if you are using Traktor I would have to say the S4 would still be a better option since the best part of Twitch (the Slicer) doesn't work with Traktor.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    If you want a midi controller with 1:1 traktor control, a more traditional set up, and a first rate build - there is really no other choice. Otherwise there are plenty of better choices out there. I'm not gonna lie I really liked my S4 when I had it, but I never really fell in love with it. It did exactly what I wanted it to do and did it pretty much flawlessly at the perfect price point, but I don't think I'd tell anyone it was great. There was something about it that just...lacked...and I could never and still cant put my finger on what.

I think it's the fact that it tries to mimic something it really can't - which is CDJ's and a mixer or TT's and a mixer. There is just something about the fact that it looks to mimic this instead of change the way you work as a DJ that is disappointing because at the end of the day you'd rather have the real thing. Access to cue points and sample decks on the first layer was good but not perfect.

The DDJ-T1 looks nice but for the price you can get a real mixer and TT/CDJ setup.

I am on the fence about controller now. I might miss the portability of the S4 but I doubt it.
    I felt the exact same way. Ultimately I was most happy with a real mixer and CDJ's. I enjoyed an NS7 because it felt close to real great. The S4 has TONS of features, and it works great. If you dig it, then get it. Tons of reasons why to get it.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

The only issue I have with it is the size. It can be a bitch to fit into a booth, especially if you're playing alongside others ... it's ok to play on though.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Convert

I have a similar dilemma - buy an S4 or wait for Twitch to be released and get one to use with Traktor. The main negative thing on the S4 for me is that it allows for use of only 2 FX on all four decks. How could they manage to produce a unit of that size and put only 2 effects buttons per deck. Is there an easy way to overcome this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripnotic View Post
    I have a similar dilemma - buy an S4 or wait for Twitch to be released and get one to use with Traktor. The main negative thing on the S4 for me is that it allows for use of only 2 FX on all four decks. How could they manage to produce a unit of that size and put only 2 effects buttons per deck. Is there an easy way to overcome this?
    map it? or use an extra controller like an x1.

i have an s4 and a midifighter and it is the perfect mobile setup. does everything i need and everything is superportable.

i love my s4
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

I've checked into the S4 and other controllers and still plan to pick this up mainly bc its not HEAVY, overcomplicated, and itsmade to work traktor better then any other controller...

The others are HEAVY....and I feel like competition is making controllers with more knobs and outputs and overcomplicating the controller...

S4 is light and has a simple layout
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

S4 looks simple but to master all the parts, let's say chopping up eight loops and play them back with effects while mixing in the next part, that will take some effort to learn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast