Summer Progressive House Mix

Talking Summer Progressive House Mix

Hey guys, new prog house mix from me: starts out techy as usual but I wanted to branch out a bit and make it more energetic than usual. It covers the wide spectrum of the genre imo from Techy, to Trancy, to bangin'. Have a listen, and as always, any comments are appreciated; let me know what you think!

Track List:

1. Flashing Lights feat. Max'C (Nicky Romero & Nilson Remix) - Jerome Isma-Ae, Daniel Portman, Max'C
    2. Call My Name feat. Nadia Ali (After Hours Mix) - Sultan, Ned Shepard, Nadia Ali
    3. 180 Degrees feat. Polina Griffith (Original Mix) - Josha, Paul Misano
    4. Live For Today (UK Dub Mix) - Sir Ivan
    5. Light Of Day (Original Mix) - John Dahlback, Albin Myers
    6. Japanese Schoolgirls (PROFF Remix) - Suspect 44
    7. I Don't Wanna Be (E-Play Remix) - Ethan Wood, Lokovski, Aron Scott
    8. Indian Summer (Original Mix) - Luke R, Thom
    9. Find Romance (Fabrice Potec Remix) – 5upar8bit
    10. Around The World (Original Mix) - DJ Soulstar
    11. 4 AM (Adam K & Soha Mix) - Kaskade

I felt as though your letting your first few track play out too long, you could bring the tracks closer together by 32 beats on each side. I dont know if its just the way i play progressive but im always cautious not to let the nrg drop to much during transitions, especially during your opening few tracks on a mix. Have a listen to my latest, it only really rests during the breaks, i try not to let the intensity/feeling drop in transitions. Different horses for different coarses. Also i thought the 4 track would have suited the end of the mix. I dont know if it was my ears but i wanted to adjust the incoming 'call my name track, it was slightly advanced.

Love the 180 degree track. Once it moved in a trance direction i stoped listening, i loce trance in the club but cant get into it at home. Plus i have a huge fat for prog.

Have a listen to my mix where i come out of firely and into the nadia ali track (cant think of the track title now) but the vocals come right in as soon as the hook finishes on firefly, this is how im used to prog being played.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

yeah i primarily mix tech house/techno so when i mix progressive house i tend to do it like that, i.e. i let the tracks play out a bit longer than most would. But its def one of the things I think about when mixing prog "is this track going on too long?" I tend to like a bit more of a groovy style tho, which was the goal for the intro 3-4 songs then I tried to get into more energy stuff. Good to know regardless, I'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it.

Just finished this up, pretty solid stuff. I didn't really think the longer mixing was an issue in the early section; only time there was a real substantial energy drop was at the end of "Japanese Schoolgirls" since the outro drums are really light. Good stuff overall, its tough to really bring in the width of prog subgenres smoothly in just an hour but you did a pretty good job of keeping it diverse.

See, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We all see different things. Its hard here as we are Dj's, i gave mainly critical points because thats what were really looking for here. Our friends can tell us it rocks. It all comes down to the genre. I learnt to play in a purely progressive club, which means im primarily influenced by the dj's there, but even i do some things they might find a little strange in mixes, but its how i interperet it, and its good to be differrent.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post
    Just finished this up, pretty solid stuff. I didn't really think the longer mixing was an issue in the early section; only time there was a real substantial energy drop was at the end of "Japanese Schoolgirls" since the outro drums are really light. Good stuff overall, its tough to really bring in the width of prog subgenres smoothly in just an hour but you did a pretty good job of keeping it diverse.
    thanks man, figured you wouldn't see and problem with the mixing length as I think we have a pretty similar style. You're right about the Japanese Schoolgirls - I Don't Wanna Be transition tho, honestly I had a hell of a time finding a track to go after it. Japanese Schoolgirls is a weird song in many ways and its in some godforsaken key like D#m which I didn't have a lot of options mixing out of. I tried to combat the drop in energy by keeping the exit loop running for the majority of I Don't Wanna Be, which is a reeeally techy song, but i guess it wasn't enough :P

See, as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We all see different things. Its hard here as we are Dj's, i gave mainly critical points because thats what were really looking for here.
    Exactly. It's good to hear diff opinions on the matter and with a critical eye, how else does one get better?