Please..quick help with Serato
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Please..quick help with Serato

Hey guys..i'll try and get straight to the point. As of now I have only used Traktor Pro controlled by my rmx. I am djing in a dj battle coming up and we are required to use cdj1000's, a djm800 and serato. I HAVE NEVER USED ANY OF THESE. My beatmatching is pretty good and having serato will help but I am still concerned I will fail miserably...haha my questions are:

1) There will be an sl3 at the club for me to use. I have downloaded the latest serato scratch live software off the website. Am I correct by assuming it will work right away once I have the sl3 box plugged into my computer? Cause as of now all I see is one track on the software.

2) If it does work, will I need to make any settings for the CDJ's to work properly on my mac?

3) On the event it says "no pre set crate"....WTF DOES THAT MEAN!?

..I will try and think of more but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out and let me know if I am in over my head...thank you very very much!

If they have the timecoded cds in the cdj, the rane sl3 box, and you have serato you should be all set and just hook it right up. I'm sure they will give you a little time to trouble shoot. There are always weird problems. Make sure the cdjs are in vinyl mode, otherwise it will seem like the track is skipping.

No pre-set crate mean you can't make make a playlist prior, they want all tracks off the cuff. No prep work, just out of the blue.

If you are worried go try someones serato at least. You better be able to ensure you can beatmatch properly. Its not given to you like it is in traktor, that being said its just matching wave forms, but still its not a sync so make sure you got that down pat. Trust your ear.

You need to connect a rane serato interface for scratch live to work.

Uh. Stick in the timecode CD and ensure the pitch lock is off.

It means no pre-planned playlist.

This all sounds a bit silly. I'd certainly at the very least try getting some practice with CDJs before rushing into this.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Oh, and analyse your collection in Serato ... this can be done offline (i.e. no box plugged in)
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Dude...I'm sorry man, but this is going to be over your head. You will need to spend some time with these things before you attempt to enter a competition.

Tech Convert

First off...Thank you so much for all the fast reply's!!! I should of, however, been more clear in my description. I have never used the serato box or serato software but HAVE mixed on cdj1000's and a djm800 seeing as how I own them..lol, What i meant was "i have never used any of these together" I understand the whole pre set crate thing now such as no cue points and stuff like that. I have always only used my cdj's and djm with audio cd's and never on computer software. The only software I have used was an rmx w/ traktor. As far as the beatmatching goes I should be fine because I am practicing by not allowing myself to use the sync button on traktor. Hopefully that should do something to get me ready? Also, is ebay a good place to look for a serato box? I'm thinking about just getting the sl1 to practice w/ and figure the sl3 should be no different. Is this correct?? Thanks everyone!

ahah! no pre-set play list...then its not a battle. I would just make two giant mp3s with 5 cue points = 10 tracks.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

How long have you got to play?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Convert

A 10-15 minute set...which to me sounds like a huge gap...What I can do in 10 minutes is a whole lot different than what I can do in 15 lol..IMO

I would seriously advise against going into a DJ battle without having prior knowledge to the equipment you are using. It doesn't have to be the exact same model as the club's, i.e. 1000 or an 800, but familiarise yourself with CDJs and a Pioneer mixer beforehand.

I went into a DJ competition where they had an Allan & Heath mixer (which I'd never used previously), it was the worst feeling ever, I felt sick, nervous, sweating profusely. I managed to figure it out in the end though
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast