How to fix slow load times...

Default How to fix slow load times...

Figured this would be a common question but couldn't find a thread. If so mods point me in the right direction.

Anyways as of lately my load collection times seemed to slow to aprox 2+ mins. Is this normal for a 500 GB collection on a Firewire 800 external? What are ways to increase this? (All options in config. that relate to loading and consistancy are unchecked)

Loading of my configuration has also slowed. I have 6 .tsi files I am using with my controllers. What are ways to increase this speed, or clean up clutter?
    MBP | TRAKTOR 2.6 | 4TRAK | ORBIT | LAUNCHPAD | KONTROL X1 | KONTROL F1 |KONTROL Z1| XONE XD53

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Have you run a consistency check lately? Not sure that would help load times, but if you have some missing tracks it may be affecting it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

amidoinitrite

cut back on your selection.. unless you do weddings or are a request DJ..
    but still 500GB?
    and also 6 tsi? what do you use all that for..
    I thought having 3 was a lot!

its probably a combination of all that. was it ever faster before?

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Have you run a consistency check lately? Not sure that would help load times, but if you have some missing tracks it may be affecting it.
    Yeah just did that last week. Removed all missing tracks and analyzed my entire collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by amidoinitrite View Post
    cut back on your selection.. unless you do weddings or are a request DJ..
    but still 500GB?
    and also 6 tsi? what do you use all that for..
    I thought having 3 was a lot!

its probably a combination of all that. was it ever faster before?
    I guess you're right I could just run my newer tunes of my laptop, but I feel naked without it never know when you're gonna wanna drop a random throwback that seems appropriate for the night. I have 4 .tsi for my launchpad, and two for my 2 Kontrol X1's. I feel like it was much faster before the 2.0.1-2.0.3 updates.
    MBP | TRAKTOR 2.6 | 4TRAK | ORBIT | LAUNCHPAD | KONTROL X1 | KONTROL F1 |KONTROL Z1| XONE XD53

Tech Wizard

check a background process, dumeter i think it was called ?? Because I have a collection larger than that and load time hasn't been any diff than normal load time 1-5 seconds per track

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Yeah I missed the obvious. Weeding down your collection will make you a better DJ. You can keep it on your laptop, but it doesn't need to be in your collection.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by mSolace View Post
    check a background process, dumeter i think it was called ?? Because I have a collection larger than that and load time hasn't been any diff than normal load time 1-5 seconds per track
    Not individual track load time, but when I first boot Traktor "collection load time".

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Yeah I missed the obvious. Weeding down your collection will make you a better DJ. You can keep it on your laptop, but it doesn't need to be in your collection.
    I like this idea! I think my next side project will be cutting down the excess fat from my collection. I DJ both weddings and clubs but mostly clubs with about 4 weddings a year. I really don't need kenny G and the Michael Bubbley or whatever at my after hours spot.

EDIT: So with that said whats the easiest way to delete my collection and start over?
    Last edited by jhyphinwill; 08-03-2011 at 09:21 PM.

amidoinitrite

I wouldn't delete it.. like you said.. you never know!

I'd get a new external(or use your internal) to keep your ACE collection!
    then on the other hard drive keep all the other tunes.. if you need a tune from that you can just drag it into traktor. You can still have it plugged in and ready to go, but you don't necessarily need all those tunes to be loaded into traktor.

On one of my externals I have a bunch of gay top 40 tunes I got from a friend when I did a party for him.. I just keep them on there just incase I'm at a party and people want to hear those tunes. If they do I just pop them into traktor and I'm good to go.

in a thread ages ago (also traktors ago) someone suggested to remove some temporary files.. as when you do fresh clean install of Traktor and recollect only colection nml and tsi files, your load up process is like bazzilion time faster.. until it clogs up after some time again.

beware this ain't tested!
    DJ Blofeld - The Evil Genius
    I shall look forward personally to exterminating you, Mr. Bond.” Ernst Stavro Blofeld to 007
    Doomsday device: TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO, AUDIO 8, VCI-100black 1.3, 2x Technics SL1210mkII