Ever Felt Like Quitting? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    I think you gotta be mad to try and do this for anything other than yourself. Any success or profit is just a nice little cherry on top of the fun you're having
    This!

i have 3 regular weekly nights that i play and get paid for, not a great amount, but a little extra in my pocked (granted for about 10 minutes till i buy more music), however the money isnt what matters to me, i do a monthly under 18's event and charity events for free. Id love to make it big but to be really honest i enjoy making people enjoy their night and as a bi product i enjoy it too, if my chance comes along christ ill jump at it but until then just enjoy doing what makes you happy.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Mentor

I just want to say thanks guys. After i really read and thought about it all day, I realized you guys are correct. I guess i just lost sight of why I did it. I did not understand why I was putting in the time for no reward, but I was doing it because i loved it. In the end that is all that matters. I DJ because I love to hear what people say about it good or bad. It is fun, and I dont give a sh1t what the people telling me to stop have to say. Thanks guys. I really appreciate your stories/relatingness/etc. I do not feel so alone now.

thats good to hear at the end of the day people will always try to put you down but they cant even begin to comprehend how much work goes into making a set happen and even more generally how much of your life you have to devote to this to even get started. its marmite, you either love it or hate it! good luck with everything and im sure youre day will come.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Tech Guru

I'm 34 and started playing at 14. I've played some amazing venues and I've had ups and downs. I once took 2 years off because I wasn't feeling it. The way I figure is once its not fun is when I stop. I've worked day jobs to live and have played on weekends for fun and side cash. Do it because you love it and you'll get so much out of it. The way I see it is DJing is my therapy, rocking a crowd of 1000 people who are really into your sound will make you forget all those fools who told you to quit. What's cool is that if you work finance by day and DJ a few gigs here and there you'll feel empowered. You wont need to play to eat, you'll play for the love.
    :: Kontrol Z2 :: :: Technics 1200 :: :: Pioneer DJM 250 :: Kontrol X1 MkII :: :: Maschine :: :: Kontrol S4 ::

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADJ? View Post
    I understand the point of what they are saying, but playing music is what I enjoy doing.
    You answered your own question there.. If you enjoy it, then why give it up??
    HP G6 - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - HD215's

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Also, I want the bitches.

I couldn't stop if i tried. I just still got the bug to make mixes and play out and i've been doing it for 20 years (since i was 14).

I've probably peaked in terms of my "career" and am down the other side of that peak... I've played massive gigs alongside many of my idols as DJs and it's amazing.

But truthfully there must be downsides to doing it full time... it's not going to be all amazing venues and hot women. guaranteed there's a lot of travelling for some lame gigs too and soon your friends will stop coming with you and it will all seem a bit lonely.

2 cents
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I feel the same sometimes. I think why keep going trying to make a name for myself? Why can't i just do it as a hobby in my room.. But i enjoy DJ'n. I will never stop bedroom DJ'n and as far as i can see i will never stop DJ'n in clubs (well near future).

I see people i know younger than me getting non stop gigs in the local city that i know i am better than and it makes me lose faith but i ain't gonna stop.. why?

Because its what i enjoy doing.

Whenever i get pissed, I crack my neck, stretch and go grab a water and search for about 3 new fresh songs, buy/download them. play on facebook and sike myself back up and mix it like a champ.

kinda like your not supposed to end a call with ya girlfriend with her upset with you, same with my S4, never get mad at her and she does you good. haha
    Beatslicing for the bitches

Every day I ask what the point is.

You need production and Djing as a way to express yourself artistically. It will help with your overall stress levels and vitality making you a more successful whole person.

Nothing wrong with not touching in for a while. One day the fire will explode and you can start were you left off.

Everything is always changing so I like to try and avoid absolute decisions.
    DJM900||CDJ800MKII(2)||PDX 2000(2)||Yamaha HS50M(2)||Yorkville YSS2||Macbook||Traktor 2

http://soundcloud.com/ryanleomusic/

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    i guarantee you porter will be gone in a few years...is that what you want? flash in the pan...

age has not a damn thing to do with anything...

finish college and get a good job so you can afford yourself the oppurtunity to play music...
    Word..That' what I did.

I play music because I enjoy it, not to be all fuckin super star.
    Technics 1200 MK2s - Vestax PMC06 - NI Kontrol S2 - Traktor - Akai APC40 - Ableton Live 8

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast