Ever Felt Like Quitting?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Ever Felt Like Quitting?

I feel stuck. I love music and the art of music production don't get me wrong. Anymore though, I feel like whats the point of it? I see guys like Avicii and Porter a year older than me (Porter is actually younger) tearing up the world with their mixes and songs, and I just wonder whats the point because of guys like that. I realize it may seem like I am doing it for the wrong reasons, but i truly love seeing what my potential is. I guess I am just looking for support. I am in college studying finance, and I am constantly told to stop wasting my time, as it will never become a career and i will never do anything but weddings. I understand the point of what they are saying, but playing music is what I enjoy doing. I am just wondering if anyone else has been in the same boat and how you got through it. As I sit here just staring at my screen, I feel like I am at a crossroads. I have invested thousands into equipment not to mention hours upon hours of my time to just stop. But then again I feel like these people are right at times, and that I should just play videogames like typical teenager. I feel like I could have talent, but I am not sure how to properly display it. I have no musical background and understand why people would say to stop. I do not know how to play the piano, and everything that I do know about music theory I have taught myself and learning from youtube has helped. Never did I expect to just plug in my Axiom and think i would sound like Avicii, but damn am I confused. Advice would be appreciated if you have had this experience. Thanks

Tech Mentor

Everything you just said applies to me man. I'm in the EXACT same boat as you, 17 yrs old last year of HS. I love mixing and plan on continuing it. I guess my advice is just keep with it, and try making connections with other DJ's in your area. You never know when an opportunity will come up.

I'm just about 30 years old and Ive been on the decks since 93, dont lose faith.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

If what you want out of this is to be like Avicii or Porter, then either get all four of your wheels on the ground and just fcking start grinding on your goal or quit. Otherwise just enjoy yourself and see where this all takes you.

Don't bother too much about, for me a day without at least two existential crises is a day wasted.

Also though I don't know who Avicii or Porter are, I'm sure they are outstanding gentlemen well-worthy of your idolatry.

dude they are young as hell. Its the new age that younger artist are popping up. But people get found all the time hell Kaskade didn't really blow up until he was about 35. There is plenty of time. If you have that type of attitude you will never succeed. The point is to just go out and play music and have fun.

i guarantee you porter will be gone in a few years...is that what you want? flash in the pan...

age has not a damn thing to do with anything...

finish college and get a good job so you can afford yourself the oppurtunity to play music...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I'm in a similar circumstance, I'm studying pharmacology in university. I DJ as a hobby, and if I get to play out in a club - great. But I don't think of it as the be all and end all and I don't really expect to have this as a career because that means I would have spent 3 years getting a degree for a job that doesn't need one.

Look at Armin van Buuren though, he was in university studying law I think and became a world famous DJ afterwards. Judge Jules started DJing after he got his law degree. I'm sure there are many others too.

If it's any consolation, I don't know who Porter is. Although I'm off to find out now
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADJ? View Post
    ...I am constantly told to stop wasting my time... I feel like these people are right at times, and that I should just play videogames like typical teenager.
    I'm confused. How is making music "a waste of time"? Its a hobby, and a relatively productive one at that. Unless you're so consumed in your music work that its affecting your school/work/whatever obligations I don't see how its a "waste of time" at all.

As for the post as a whole, I've definitely had that feeling comparing myself to Avicii and feeling pretty useless, but I never got into this with the express intent of being a superstar - its just something I enjoy. If you actually want it to be a job, you're gonna have to treat it like one. You may only see the rockstar side of things but those guys at the top have put in a TON of work to be where they are.

Sit back and enjoy the ride.

If your not having fun pack it in!
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

Tech Guru

Your goal will never come true with that sort of thinking. Set your goals and strive for them, don't let anyone get in your way.
    Traktor Scratch Pro, Ableton Live 8, MacBook Pro 13'', Traktor Kontrol S4, Traktor Kontrol X1, , Midifighter, NI Audio 6 DJ, HDJ-2000 Headphones, UDG Producer Bag.
    Original Productions: https://soundcloud.com/alligator
    My Duo Productions: https://soundcloud.com/rockafellers
    Facebook Fanpage -->http://www.facebook.com/djalligator123

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast