More respects using Turntables?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default More respects using Turntables?

I've never been so nervous. I've been using the traktor s4 for a while with my technics and a vestax mixer. Went to two clubs and a radio station to network. Two of the clubs had a booth with pioneer gear and two technics. So I was like where am I going to put my s4. The radio station director requires you to do a iive demo using their serato setup and technics. I can't use my traktor s4. Samething with a local college underground hiphopshow. I'm confused I thought the s4 would be used for radio and so to be standards in clubs. Its like the owners of the clubs and radio station lady expect you to know how to really beatmatch two records, and mix. I was suprised how the radio station directors and club owners knew the basics of spinning. So I have a tryout in the fall. So I'm might have to sell my s4. I'm might pick up a pioneer mixer. Are they like industry standard or something. I saw a djmm something.

If you want to keep your S4, then look into picking up an Audio DJ 4/6/8/10 sound card and possibly an X1.

That is my alternative setup to my S4 and I actually dig it a lot.

Once you show you can rock it with turntables and get established, then you can talk to them and bring in your S4.

S4 or any controller is not a standard anywhere..period. Too much variation with that.
    Its either turntables a mixer, or cdjs and a mixer.

You should know how to beat match. That is a correct exception imo, just because traktor does it for you doesn't mean you should learn it. Don't go playing out if all you can rely do is your software. Many MANY times software will fail, clubs won't have space, or crappy owners. Those people are club owners and radio stationsdirector making bookings they should know what it is after all that experience, its their living. Hoping for a dumb one isn't going about it the right way.

Not trying to be an ass but I'm just pointing out you really should be prepared.

Get reading mate
    House.

I'm always amazed how conservative the DJ world really is. Anyway, hook two turntables or CDJs to S4 and then later during the show just turn them off. As usually a lot of DJ:ing is show and glitter and no reality.

PS: In 15 years DJs will be turned down if they can't handle any of the standard computer based DJ systems.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
    I'm always amazed how conservative the DJ world really is. Anyway, hook two turntables or CDJs to S4 and then later during the show just turn them off. As usually a lot of DJ:ing is show and glitter and no reality.

PS: In 15 years DJs will be turned down if they can't handle any of the standard computer based DJ systems.
    I really hope that's not true. I hope that the controller DJs decide that, instead of giving the same static some of the turntable/CDJ guys gave them, they'll be accepting of new ideas.

Seriously, you're playing other people's records. Stop being so precious. I know you got suckered by the marketing twonks to think that Tiesto (Oakenfold/Craze/Deadmau5/insert "superstar DJ name" here) is some kind of genius, and/or god.

They're not. In exactly the same way that the "superstar" musicians and bands are not.

It's music. We love it. Let's dance.

*edit: those are the universal "You". I'm not aiming those comments at you particularly, ksandvik*
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

link up with a dj friend that has serato, install serato ssl 2.2 on you laptop. Drag and drop your playlist from traktor into SSL, analyse, buy some serato timecodes, show up, rock the house, get the job and show up with the S4 once your a headliner.

Done and Done.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    link up with a dj friend that has serato, install serato ssl 2.2 on you laptop. Drag and drop your playlist from traktor into SSL, analyse, buy some serato timecodes, show up, rock the house, get the job and show up with the S4 once your a headliner.

Done and Done.
    This exactly what I did haha.

I'm not saying its right i'm just saying thats the way it is.

Right now controllers are too variable. There are too many out there that function in way too many ways with way too many variables, and can take up a lot of space. Its an engineers nightmare, have some random kid unplugging things and plugging this in everywhere.

Most clubs bars whatever need a standard for any DJ to come and play easily. Right now cdjs + mixer, or turntable + mixer is it.

At some point the industry will change. Well the industry already is somewhat. At a place in Chicago, called Spybar they have a rane box and traktor box built into the booth. Maybe a standard controller, or a standard controller size will be implemented....like mixers and cdjs.

I don't think there will be a standard DJ controller in future. The cat it out of the bag. Technics (turntables) and Pioneer (CDJs) managed to navigate to an industrial standard situation. However, I doubt the current competition of controllers want others to get to this point.

Also, all that is required is that there's a nice flat space where any suitable controller could be placed, a location for a laptop and a small mixer somewhere that routes the controller and other additional devices into the club PA system. That's not much to be asked -- and I think that's what will happen anyway. This as more and more DJs use laptops and various controllers and club owners just have to adjust to the new reality.

That or hire 50+ old DJs that know the old technology, of course.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast