Made the right choice???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Made the right choice???

I have owned the TKS4 for a few months now, and I love it My problem is that the industry standard for clubs is either CDJ's or TT's,(which i dont own) a few years down the track I would like to play at my local clubs, preferably with my S4 but in reality it doesnt seem likely that I could bring it in with me due to lack of space, club owners not permitting controllers etc So, I would be playing on un-familiar products, (CDJ's most likely) The only way I could see myself becoming comfortable with using CDJ's is to practice on them which means buying some...um no, S4 thank you :P - Or by turning off all aids on Traktor eg Phase meter,BPM and Sync, and practicing like that, In you opinion guys would that make it easier to play on a CDJ? I know layout would be different but in terms of actually mixing would this be worth while or do i have to bite the bullet and buy some CDJ's + mixer?? thanks in advance
    HP G6 - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - HD215's

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Also, I want the bitches.

If you like your S4 why swap it for CDJ/Mixer? I own CDJ's/TT's/Mixer and find it ten times more fun that controllers but its all down to preference.

If you want to start playing out at gigs have you not guy some friends that have CDJ's you could hang out at and get familiar with them?

If you really want to learn how to use CDJ's without buying them, basically the main thing to do is learn how to beatmatch (by ear) because on the CDJ the tempo/bpm/pitch control might be different and you won't have any waveforms (not as detailing anyways).

So use your S4 cue up a track use your time elapsed (if you wish) and time remaining and do not look at waveforms or any other aid and if you can confidently beatmatch i shoulnd't see a problem getting the hang of CDJ's in a few tracks.

You can learn how to beat match just fine with the S4, turn all the sync and aids off and you'll be fine. Hell turn the entire screen off when not selecting tracks. I like to keep my laptop somewhere I can't see it.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

amidoinitrite

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    You can learn how to beat match just fine with the S4, turn all the sync and aids off and you'll be fine. Hell turn the entire screen off when not selecting tracks. I like to keep my laptop somewhere I can't see it.
    ^this..

keep it in browser/search mode.. and dim it when you're not selecting a track.

+1
    If you want to learn to beatmatch, you might as well do that with an S4.
    When you have done that, just ask some mate to give you his CDJ for a couple of days, or go and rent one for the weekend, to familiarize yourself with it's interface.

Word to all of the above... you can learn what you need to know with no gear at all (though you'd have a hell of time using keys in place of a pitch fader with that route... its beside the point anyways). Just turn off the software assistance (BPM, phase, waveform, etc) and rock out. Learning the browsing and whatnot of a CDJ doesn't take but a few minutes, the rest is the same.

Banned

I've never had to face an issue about club owners/promoters not allowing controllers. Where the heck are you guys playing at where this is an issue?

amidoinitrite

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    I've never had to face an issue about club owners/promoters not allowing controllers. Where the heck are you guys playing at where this is an issue?
    I think its more of a "better safe than sorry" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by amidoinitrite View Post
    I think its more of a "better safe than sorry" situation.
    There's also some places that, unfortunately enough, think that if you show up with a controller you might as well not have shown up at all. Haters man, haters. Smh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated, I plan on turning all traktors aids off to learn how to beatmatch, didnt think about dimming/shutting the screen off though, good idea, and I do have a mate that owns CDJ350's and a DJM 350, not exactly club spec gear but would b good to learn the basic layout of one though
    HP G6 - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - HD215's

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Also, I want the bitches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast