The Definitive Guide to Trolls

Post The Definitive Guide to Trolls

A very good post on the ubuntu forums.

I think everyone here could benefit from this read.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1032102

The encyclopedia dramatica entry on trolls is pretty good too.

I saw a good, concise analogy the other day. If you're ever stuck trying to explain to someone what a troll is

"A troll is someone who deliberately starts an argument. The type of person who would say Hitler was a pretty cool guy in a holocaust support forum"
    Last edited by Grifff; 08-05-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    | Pioneer CDJ 800 | Korg KM202 | Citronic MPCD-S3 |

Soundcloud|Twitter|Mixcloud

this is one of those moments where i get pissed that i lost my explanation and that i didnt bother to memorize it. it was worded perfectly.

anyway, what it boiled down to is there are 2 types:

"A troll is someone who deliberately starts an argument. The type of person who would say Hitler was a pretty cool guy in a holocaust support forum"
    and 2. someone who is showing people to be able to think for both sides of the argument, can read people, can predict and try to manipulate their replies to guide them to a goal of proving a point. loosen up, theres grey areas in almost everything.

i.e.

you dont like the way schools are in the US? > you disagree with our govt > so, you want to do it so that people specialize in what they want in high school? yes? good. > thats how schools worked in communist romania > you are a communist

there was an argument, something that was not his point but was said to irritate him, you make a statement/ ask a question to lead them into your trap, let the trap do its work, state your point

then you can become troll number 1 and just keep calling them a communist.

all in all, its just knowing how to work people.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

In Norway there are benign trolls according to their spoken tradition. In Finland none are good :-).

PS: I used to work for Trolltech so I always felt weird there...