squeezing the most out of my macbook

Default squeezing the most out of my macbook

i just bought a black macbook off of craigslist (2GHZ, 1G ram) aside from the obvious ram and hard drive upgrades, what else can i do to squeeze every last bit of juice from my computer to run traktor scratch pro 2?

Quote Originally Posted by mixmasterpayton View Post
    i just bought a black macbook off of craigslist (2GHZ, 1G ram) aside from the obvious ram and hard drive upgrades, what else can i do to squeeze every last bit of juice from my computer to run traktor scratch pro 2?
    max out ram to 2gb & stick a seagate or WD 500gb @7200 rpm HD, clean install of OSX 10.6.4 to combo update 10.6.8. Install Traktor, import your music (dont let iTunes handle ur music), then do a disk repair 2x, after each time, restart the mac.

Done and Done, paypal me $20 USD to DJ JesC
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Disabling wifi (and probably bluetooth) while DJing helps as well.
    For a good measure, you could also try to disable dashboard (google for a terminal command), and on the older GMA950-machines (which you probably have), turn off some visual eye candy. Make the menubar non-translucent, for example. Tiny little stuff that helps just a tiny little bit, but altogether, it should sum up.

Oh, and BTW, if you have to open the macbook anyway, try to clean out the dust that gathered in there. You wouldn't believe how much of that stuff gathers in there over the years. Will probably help to keep it cooler.

Yes, good advice. Especially if the fan is always on, clean up the inside. I think you could get by with a MacBook for Traktor. Heck, I have an early day Intel MacBook here in office I will test to see how it behaves with Traktor Pro 2.

If you see issue, open up the Activity view, you could see if you have problems with CPU or disk access. I suspect disk access will be the key. Also make sure you have plenty of free disk space for VM, so don't try to squeeze in every possible digital track on the internal hard disk.

thanks guys, my main problem is cpu overload while i scratch and then it clips, you guys think these changes plus hardware upgrades will help?

Quote Originally Posted by mixmasterpayton View Post
    thanks guys, my main problem is cpu overload while i scratch and then it clips, you guys think these changes plus hardware upgrades will help?
    More guessing than knowing here, but as scratching requires constant re-buffering of the audio files, a memory upgrade might already help.

i never turn off wifi and put my bluetooth to un-discoverable
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Wifi probably makes no difference on a reasonably powerful machine. Back when I had my white macbook (one of the first core2duos), it actually caused dropouts, but only when it was on battery. Didn't use Trakor back then - I had DJDecks and an ESI sound card. Much less solid combination, at least back in the days.

max your ram, and stick a seagate momentous xt in it.. worth the hundred bux