Traktor S4 vs NS6 as a present!?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor S4 vs NS6 as a present!?

My friend's birthday is coming up in a month, and me and a bunch of buddies have around $1000 saved up for his surprise birthday present!

The birthday boy has no DJ experience, and were limited on money, so we decided to get him a controller. So now the real question remains, which one is "better"?

He plans to play electro, house, and hip hop with a bit of scratching I assume.

All feedback is appreciated, and I need to place the order soon, so it isn't late for his birthday!

Thanks,
    Papayajuice

Tech Wizard

what a present :P wish I got given a present like that haha anyways, I'd go the S4 personally
    HP G6 - Traktor Kontrol S4 - Traktor Pro 2 - HD215's

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Also, I want the bitches.

Hmmm amazing present. If it were me though, as stoked as I'd be with the surprise... It's one of those presents Id really want to choose.

It's impossible for us to guess what someone wants.

Ask him on the sly if he prefers traktor or serato... That'll give you an idea which way to go
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Wizard

S4 is much better in my opinion but the NS6 uses itch is easier to learn. I would try to bring up the topic of dj software by chance and happen to casually ask him if he "likes traktor or itch " ergo he says traktor then you get him the s4 and if he says itch then the ns6
    | 13" Macbook Pro | Novation Twitch | Kontrol X1 | Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones | Traktor Pro 2 | Serato Itch |

Tech Guru

If its in the budget x1 and ns6.... Best of both worlds itch and traktor with loads of control
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

S4 is more portable but the build quality on the NS6 looks outstanding and it does have those amazing jogs if he wants to scratch. AND it has the built in mixer. I'd go for the NS6 if I had to choose but as always it's down to personal preference.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Id love my friends to spend that much on me for a birthday ha, my birthdays coming up next sunday and half my friends are on holiday
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

amazing friends. you guys are awesome. As someone above said, talk to him a little before hand if you can and feel out the following. Which do you think are most important to him and will be his long-term needs:

If scratching is necessary: NS6. Not sure if the jogs are HID like s4. Build quality blows s4 out of the water though and it also looks a little more portable, even though it might be a little heavier.

If Traktor is necessary (and you think he's opposed to Itch): s4. But Itch 2.0 just came out and it's pretty sweet. Plus remember, if you get s4, he'll have to buy software. If you get Itch controller, software would be free. Another option is s4 + x1, therefore gettin TP2 free with the new NI deal.

If scratching is not necessary: Xone Dx hands down. Itch 2.0 and Traktor mappable. Plus the price just came down (to 50% new!) this week bc it's been out for exactly 1 year. You'll probably have $400 left and you can use that to buy Traktor, or maybe the sweet $200 Mono Case Xone Dx backpack!

If you have any extra money, I'd look into getting him some type of backpack (Mono Case EFX line for different controllers) or deck saver etc.

No matter what you guys end up choosing, I'm sure he'll be happy. Definitely a present he'll never forget :-) Good looking out for your friend ! Tell us what you end up choosing!

Quote Originally Posted by GI Trackt View Post
    NS6. Not sure if the jogs are HID like s4. Build quality blows s4 out of the water though and it also looks a little more portable, even though it might be a little heavier.
    The S4 is definitely more portable. You won't fit an NS6 into your cabin bag on a plane.

Quote Originally Posted by GI Trackt View Post
    remember, if you get s4, he'll have to buy software. If you get Itch controller, software would be free.
    Not true. The S4 comes with a free copy of Traktor Pro 2. In fact, if you register one before August 23rd you'll get the scratch upgrade free.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Oooo FEP you're totally right. I'm sorry man I completely forgot about s4 software ha.

And cool, yeah I was just going off pictures and videos I've seen for the portability. Apologies for the errors.

Good luck man!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast