Monitors: RK5/6 or HS50M
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Monitors: RK5/6 or HS50M

Trying to decide which to get. I looked at the RK8 and it sounded great, but it is way too big for a dorm room. I'm just going to use these speakers as a bedroom DJ with my S4. I am learning the ropes right now. I am mainly interested in electro but I really enjoy dubstep as well.

I've heard mixed reviews on each. I wont be blasting music with these. Im leaning towards the Yamaha HS50M because they have a "clean and flat" sound, and dealing with electro I probably really want hear the mid's/high's

Any thoughts?

Yamaha HS50M

KRK RK6

KRK RK5
    Last edited by MagnusHere; 08-07-2011 at 06:48 PM.

Tech Mentor

I haven't heard the Yamaha's, but like my Rockits for monitoring with.

I only have the 5's, the 6's should be better (and I'd love to have the 8's).

Too big for a dorm room? You can turn them down, right?
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ellgieff View Post
    Too big for a dorm room? You can turn them down, right?
    Physically too big.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by MagnusHere View Post
    Physically too big.
    Oh. Wow. Broom cupboard?

:P
    2 x Technics 1200 mk5 | 2 x Pioneer CDJ-1000 mk3 | A&H Xone:62 | KRK RP5-G2 | 15" MBP | TSP | Audio8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Korg KP-3 | Korg NanoKontrol
    Beached As Breaks, Mondays 7am - 9am UK Time on NSB Radio | Podcast | Archives | Facecrack

Tech Convert

KRK RK series seem to be very well known and they look like a much better build, I think Im actually gonna end up getting those.

Don't go the HS50M's, if your going yamaha then get the MSP5's they're "cleaner & flatter" so to speak. Otherwise the KRK's are a really good option.

HS50m - great accurate monitors, brutally honest and reveals all the details about your tunes

im an audio engineering student at SAE and all the lecturers actually recommend these for their accuracy, got one for my room and its awesome

they are MIXING speakers for audio engineer mixdown, they are not listening speakers
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

had the same decision last week and went for the RP6, as the bass was a lot better, like people are saying the yamaha's have a more detailed sound but the punch from the RP6 was to nice not to go for, plus they'd be better for a small house party if you needed them for that
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

i got the krk rp6s and they are sick! so loud and the sound is amazing...i would recommend!!!
    Production: HP G62 2.6 dual core, 8gb ram | Live 8 | APC40 | MPD32 | MPK Mini | NI A2 | KRK Rokit 6 G2s | 6pack of Rolling Rock
    DJ: Kontrol X1 | TP2

Tech Convert

Thanks everyone for the help! Sounds like RP6's are what I want to get.

Now I get the joy of figuring out if all the cracks and pops I hear through my headphones will come out the speakers too :/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast