Will cdj's always remain club standard?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Will cdj's always remain club standard?

CDJ's are totally out of my budget right now. Currently i am about to order the twitch to begin djing on a small scale but i still have around 3-4 years to go until i am of legal age to dj at real clubs. So do you think as time progresss that controllers eventually be accepted at big clubs and viewed with the same respect as cdjs? or will one have to buy cdjs to start getting bigger gigs?
    | 13" Macbook Pro | Novation Twitch | Kontrol X1 | Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones | Traktor Pro 2 | Serato Itch |

Banned

You'll be fine, I wouldn't worry about what's "standard". I've never had issues dealing with this so do what you feel comfortable with and rock it out

Tech Mentor

As long as you don't rely on the controller and software to DJ, you'll be able to switch between a controller and CDJ's. Think of it as an instrument you need to master, and practice that way. The twitch can do many things CDJ's can't, learn all of them.

On the other hand, if you're the kind of guy that loads the next song in the pre-configured playlist, hits sync, then slowly moves the crossfader over... Go jump off something really high.

Tech Guru

Yes they will be the club standard until something replaces them. Never worry about what tech may be coming about in 3-4 years. The way everything advances we could go through 2 "standard" changes over the next 5 years. Do what makes you happy if you start playing in clubs then learn CDJs. You'll already have the djing basics so it will come a lot easier.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

Tech Guru

Sales of CD players of all kinds are falling of massively. Pure media players will probably be the next "standard".

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    Tech Guru Join Date: Mar 2008
    Whoa...666
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

cdjs are the standard yes, but that means that they also will be provided by the club (most of the time) so buying yourself some might be a little silly. Know how to use them, cause shit happens... but do what works for you as well

more and more people are either going usb-only (pio rekord box) or serato/traktor + CDJ/vinyl or just full midi

Pretty soon we will see CDJs without actual cd drives (maybe?) - its like the current cdj line-up minus the actual cd drives, probably in a few years, just like how apple is slowly ditching the superdrives from their latest mac mini / macbook air

vinyl will always have its spot in turntablism so it will stay for awhile

just my thoughts hahaha
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    more and more people are either going usb-only (pio rekord box) or serato/traktor + CDJ/vinyl or just full midi

Pretty soon we will see CDJs without actual cd drives (maybe?) - its like the current cdj line-up minus the actual cd drives, probably in a few years, just like how apple is slowly ditching the superdrives from their latest mac mini / macbook air

vinyl will always have its spot in turntablism so it will stay for awhile

just my thoughts hahaha
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cortex-H...01-i1406024.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Denon-DN...75-i1602061.gc
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Tech Wizard

beatmatching is not the problem here i can pick that up quickly but the thing is even though clubs provide them how can one get to practise on them beforehand without buying them? to me the cdj's seem kinda simple to use, to me it seems like pioneer just kinda bullied its way into the dj market sort of :S i mean yea they have quality but are they really worth their cost? Honestly there is no major innovation that i notice with the cdj's granted i am newbie maybe i am wrong :/
    | 13" Macbook Pro | Novation Twitch | Kontrol X1 | Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones | Traktor Pro 2 | Serato Itch |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast