How to DJ as a duo? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Wizard

With a mate, we play 30 mins each and while he plays i try to mess a bit with effects and some cue points to add cords or vocals to his tracks..
    I found the hard part is to avoid taking over his mix and be sync on transitions but it's quite fun!
    Xone K2 / Denon DN-SC2000 / midifighter / Sennheiser HD 205

I think if you really want to take this duo to a good level there is no shortcut : Practice !

Know your tracks like the back of your hand, know his tracks like the back your hand too, then it's a matter of hours and hours of practice. Practice together, and also solo, because when shit happen, you multiply stress by two, so you need to practice ( to keep your head cool in the middle of a gig ) to make everything seamless with your friend.

By playing together ( even if it is just having some beers at your place chilling ) you will start to KNOW what the other does without having to speak it out loud, you will start to recognize who has wich technic down the best, and so you will be able to construct something more than just a "back to back" ( wich is fine and fun but not technically a duo).

Once you have already some hours of practice together, try and find some house party to dj, or make them happen, it shouldn't be hard in SP.
    Facing a crowd will scare you a bit at first, but it will serve to "gel" your duo together and push you to practice more so as to keep stress level acceptable. Keep to it and practice and try and find more gigs going up in "difficulty".

Then practice some more !
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDevil View Post

Jack Beats.....been playing their tracks for a while...but only just realised.....

Thats DJ PLUS ONE!

Innit?
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Yeh Jack Beats are Plus One from Scratch Perverts and Beni G from Mixologists. They Dj quite a few shows individually though and I wonder how often they actually Dj like this together and whether it's really a bit of a one off Pioneer showcase. Either way they are wicked and All Night is right up my street. :-)
    http://mixcloud.com/audioaerosol
    Black MacBook 2.4ghz 750gb HD, 8gb RAM
    XDJ Aero & Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by oneapemob View Post
    By playing together ( even if it is just having some beers at your place chilling ) you will start to KNOW what the other does without having to speak it out loud
    Hehe, like how you knew I was going to get drunk and start stealing every single mix
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I've split the output of my tt's, running 1 into my (tsp certified) mixer controlling my TSP2 version and the other signal running into my mate's audio8, controlling his TSP2 version.
    His outputs are connected to the digital in of the two channels, making it a flick of a switch to go from my output to his on the same channel.
    Both his and my sample decks go through the main channel directly, since they are fully midi controlled anyway.

This is simply because we take turns when playing together, 2 tracks each every time. Using the sample decks to create some extra synergy if we feel like it.

Could be me, but I think this would be the duo-setup with possibly the smallest footprint with full scratch functionality.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    I've split the output of my tt's, running 1 into my (tsp certified) mixer controlling my TSP2 version and the other signal running into my mate's audio8, controlling his TSP2 version.
    His outputs are connected to the digital in of the two channels, making it a flick of a switch to go from my output to his on the same channel.
    Both his and my sample decks go through the main channel directly, since they are fully midi controlled anyway.

This is simply because we take turns when playing together, 2 tracks each every time. Using the sample decks to create some extra synergy if we feel like it.

Could be me, but I think this would be the duo-setup with possibly the smallest footprint with full scratch functionality.
    I'd like to see that, didn't realise you could split the output of TTs and still have enough of a signal. I just picked up an SL-2 box yesterday so it'd be nice to be able to plug in both the Audio 8 and SL-2 at the same time and save messing around to switch between the systems.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I don't think the signal is affected that much simply by splitting it in two (mind you, 2 stereo splits). I don't notice any difference whatsoever. When my friend is not around i just unplug his cable and leave the splitters.
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Aerosol View Post
    Yeh Jack Beats are Plus One from Scratch Perverts and Beni G from Mixologists. They Dj quite a few shows individually though and I wonder how often they actually Dj like this together and whether it's really a bit of a one off Pioneer showcase. Either way they are wicked and All Night is right up my street. :-)
    na, not just a showcase... I think they have been doing it like this for quite a while now, we had them tour aus last year and this was their setup..

it is just a glorified tag team effort however, no different from mix mix pass...

me and my mate dj together as a residency, and find software makes it much easier to both keep busy, one rocks the x1 and other on the decks.. otherwise one of us is going through cds, tweaking effects, but it really does come down to what u guys feel comfortable doing. ive seen guys push each other away and stuff because they arent working on the same level, so make sure having two of you is adding something to your performance (you have 4 hands is the key!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Aerosol View Post
    SWEEET!

Loved DJ Plus One......STILL NUMBER ONE Routine.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123