How to DJ as a duo?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    IanSniesko

Default How to DJ as a duo?

Me and my friend made a duo, but we don't even know how to play as a duo!! How famous Duos or Trios like Swedish House Mafia play in their dj sets? Their divide the work? One control the mixer and the other the effects? How to DJ like a duo??

You take it in turns.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

IanSniesko

Anyone more?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    You take it in turns.
    +1 we do it like this..

we're also thinking about getting more in doing small routines with a MF, MFpro and samples..
    Setup: TP 3, Kontrol S5, MF Twister, MF3D, MF Classic, DIY-Midifighter, Aiaiai Tma-1
    soundcloud
    facebook
    formerly know as weltraumpapst

Tech Wizard

My buddy has a vci and i have exponent, we just plug in some rcas into each other then beat match by placing cue points on the 1/4th notes we wanted to play off of. It can be a lot of fun, especially if someone has a sampler and effects. If you could midi sync together that would also be nice but I'd just practice until you guys can beat match together.

Tech Wizard

There is no guideline on how to do it. Just start playing together and things will unfold naturally. Like for myself and my brother, I like letting him chose a majority of the songs and while they are playing I will layer it with samples and possibly whole other tracks. And if he or I need help that requires more than 2 hands then obviously we help each other. It really makes everything so much more fun. I mean doing it alone is fun, but it's nice to share the wealth.

Play one at a time. Or both at the same time.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by S.I.N.S View Post
    There is no guideline on how to do it. Just start playing together and things will unfold naturally.
    Follow this idea.

Just start playing together. You guys will both start coming up with ideas of what you want to do and that is what will make your duo. Whether it's the traditional 2 tracks back and forth, or one guy mixing and the other guy doing effects. Whatever it is that you come up with, you guys just have to start playing together and experimenting.

If you want to use Swedish House Mafia as an example, check out some videos of their live sets and try to break down what each person is doing.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

me and my buddy eric do it like:

2 tracks he - 2 tracks me. both using tpro2. both using external mode and 4 channels. we have a jack splitter in the mixer so both of us can prelisten. syncing either by using a midi cable and the midiclock or beatmatching by ear.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast