how to get people to fill the dancefloor?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default how to get people to fill the dancefloor?

I recently got my first gig playing at a bar every other saturday playing mainstream hip hop - pop/top 40 - house mashups... it's not a huge bar or anything but it pays some bills. i can tell people are diggin the music but i can't seem to get them to get out there and dance for some reason. it's kind of awkward and embarrassing for me and downright irritating that i'm spending my saturday night playing music so people can just nod their heads to it.

i know the whole routine (or at least i think i do!) where you should start out at a slower BPM then work your way up for the first hour to the house-ier stuff then transition back to the 80 bpm range and work your way back up and so forth for the night. but the crowd just still stands around talking with each other. it's like they don't even notice me.

what are some suggestions on how to get some people out there dancin? i am completely open to any suggestion that is thrown my way.

Tech Guru

what's the crowd like. Age?

I've found that playing old classics - early 80's, Michael Jackson, stuff that every one knows will get them moving or at least acting a fool and then they start dancing.

Under the right circumstances you could even play stuff like Cupid Shuffle.....but be careful! LOL
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Visit the bar on the nights you are not behind the decks and see what the other DJ's are spinning.

Q. Are people up dancing for him/her?
    A. Yes - Find better music. No - maybe the crowd are happy head boppers.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

its a bar.
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Tech Convert

age range is 21 to probably 26-ish.. i'm the only DJ they have playing so far haha.. this place just had their grand opening about a month and a half ago.. it's kind of a weird venue.. it's a sports bar/resturaunt during the day and then just the bar at night.

Tech Convert

@irish... they have a dancefloor though? the place is weird. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by kshuck View Post
    age range is 21 to probably 26-ish.. i'm the only DJ they have playing so far haha.. this place just had their grand opening about a month and a half ago.. it's kind of a weird venue.. it's a sports bar/resturaunt during the day and then just the bar at night.
    I would think you need to start promoting saturdays as club night because your current crowd is not there to dance. I'd say make some fliers, spread the word, and dancers should come in

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlaggard View Post
    its a bar.
    for the most part people dont dance in bars, but you need to read the crowd better, play something late in the night that the ladies will love, something thats gonna get them screaming and even phoning there girl friends scream "o.m.g there playing your song" keep a few of your very best tunes until the time is right and as charly sheen would say "BOOM, WINNING"

hell it could be anything from any year, just read the crowd,
    remember, its not about the music you like or about the mixing, its about what they (the people listening) like. and as any good comedian would say

"timing is everything"

Tech Convert

yea, i'm playing again on the saturday of labor day weekend and just sent a flyer to the manager of the place and they're putting them up all over the place.. hopefully that will bring some more people in.

if there is girls there try playing Valerie by Amy Winehouse late in the night. that should at very least get them singing at the top of the voices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast