Speakers Under 400?
    Tech Mentor

Default Speakers Under 400?

I do house parties small venues possibly the size of two class rooms. At the current moment i have a 2 channel mixer, a maschine, a x1, and tsp2. (I dont think that was necessary but its ok).. And i own a subwoofer for my houses surround system it plugs into the wall for power ANYWAAAAYZZZ would it be possible to get speakers under 400 for house parties i might do some small school gym later.... Active speakers would be preferable but i can do powered.

Tech Mentor

Also i would maybe go used...

Only thing I can think of in that price range would be the Behringer Eurolive series... sound isn't the best but I guess you don't expect that from a pair of loudspeakers under $400. Alternatively you could go for a single Mackie Thump 15.

Tech Mentor

i like the mackie thump 15 idea and just save up for the next one how loud is it? could i rock a house party with just one?

Samson XP510i is 2x250W if that's all you need. Get a sub-woofer later. To get 1000W+ output you ned QSC K12s and so on and it's outside your budget. The XP510i is usually below $700 but I think outside used gear it's hard to find anything for $400, even $500.

I have the Samson XP308i in my garage (2x150W), mostly for my electronic drums and band practices and it's loud enough for that. As a bonus the sound is really good and those are easy to transport.

No, for 400 you cannot get a decent speaker and amp setup. I'm sorry, just not possible. Save up. You'll need at least 6-800 for a decent speaker system that won't sound like shit. Mackie Thumps are reasonable.

If you are good with wood or know someone who is - build yourself a Bill Fitz Maurice system. For about 1200 with an Amp and DSP you can build a system that will rock 200 people. Not club level sound at that size crowd but good enough for your purposes.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank112916 View Post
    No, for 400 you cannot get a decent speaker and amp setup. I'm sorry, just not possible. Save up. You'll need at least 6-800 for a decent speaker system that won't sound like shit. Mackie Thumps are reasonable.

If you are good with wood or know someone who is - build yourself a Bill Fitz Maurice system. For about 1200 with an Amp and DSP you can build a system that will rock 200 people. Not club level sound at that size crowd but good enough for your purposes.
    You seem quite knowledgeable. For a basement house party for some 18 year olds would ONE mackie thump 15 work and after my gig in october get a second one.

Quote Originally Posted by djgringo View Post
    You seem quite knowledgeable. For a basement house party for some 18 year olds would ONE mackie thump 15 work and after my gig in october get a second one.
    How many people? How big is the basement?

For a basement house party where the basement is say 12x20 with a 7-10 foot ceiling I'd suggest you go with a pair of decently loud computer speakers and sub. Like these -

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO"]Amazon.com: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41s2wGmIocL.@@AMEPARAM@@41s2wGmIocL[/ame]
    Raise up those speakers up to head level, corner load the sub, and you will get decent sound output for the price. Enough to keep a bunch of house party guests happy. I did my friends 21st with them and it was fine.

If you can up your budget 150 dollars to 550 then I'd say save up for these
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Auro-D415-Speaker-Enclosure/dp/B0042H805Y"]Amazon.com: Samson Auro D415 - 2-Way Active Speaker Speaker Enclosure: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41q4ml65tRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41q4ml65tRL[/ame]

if you want to go active. They are cheaper than the Mackies and get great reviews. The Mackies I hear, fwiw, are a bit muddy. You'll almost definitely want to add a sub down the line but you won't be able to add an active one for less than 500 to make it worth it.

They may sound loud in the shop or in an empty room but add people and the sound/loudness change completely.
    House.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    They may sound loud in the shop or in an empty room but add people and the sound/loudness change completely.
    I have no idea whom this is directed towards....