vci-100 left jogwheel won't respond
    Tech Wizard

Default vci-100 left jogwheel won't respond

I have a problem. I'm using the vci-100, w/1.3 firmware on traktor 3.4 (mac 10.4.11, Dual 2.0 G5, 3G ram) and my jogwheel on Deck A is acting up again.

The left jogwheel (deck A) will not respond as well as the right jogwheel (deck B) More specifically, when I touch both, the LED will turn red on both, but when there are tracks loaded, the one on the left will not "scratch" the track forward or backward, regardless of how much I spin the jogwheel. The one on the left works correctly.

What is wrong, and how do I fix it? It's the second time that this has happened. the first fix involved playing w/the rear sensitivity adjustment (and unscrewing the faulty jogwheel), but I don't use it daily or even weekly, so I can't say that overuse causes it. I don't believe that I should be tweaking the knob/unscrewing the jogwheel every time I use it.

Any suggestions?

Did you check the DECK A jog wheel under midi to see if its link you the Deck A jog wheel on the vci? Also make sure that the scratch button is on sometime if you dont have anything mapped to it and its off the jog wheels will not work.

Just a side question, what .TKS are you using?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Wizard

I recently had to completely strip my VCI down due to this. Deck A would not scratch but I still got the LED and could use the deck slowly for cueing.

I found the disc the laser reads off was warped and moved up and down whilst rotating. I took this off and refitted being careful to equally tighten the 3 screws so the flimsy disc remains flat.

This sorted my VCI out a treat! Just a thought.

Whilst its off...bang some teflon based lubricant on the brass spindle....they'll glide like a dream.

Tech Wizard

MixerDave,
    This is VERY interesting. I've read here that others have this same type of problem. Lots of people tend to have a tight jogwheel on new units, and/or some have this same side not work too with the wheel not scratching or cueing.

You wouldn't happen to have pics of you taking this apart, would you? I'm not sure what disc/laser you're referring to. I would hate to make this worse.

JesC,
    midi is ok and jogwheel is linked to A. The tks file is 1.4 TT style.

Ean,
    Maybe you could give some input as to why this happens so often, and how to fix this.
    Last edited by oquela; 02-23-2009 at 01:05 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by oquela View Post
    MixerDave,
    This is VERY interesting. I've read here that others have this same type of problem. Lots of people tend to have a tight jogwheel on new units, and/or some have this same side not work too with the wheel not scratching or cueing.

You wouldn't happen to have pics of you taking this apart, would you? I'm not sure what disc/laser you're referring to. I would hate to make this worse.

JesC,
    midi is ok and jogwheel is linked to A. The tks file is 1.4 TT style.

Ean,
    Maybe you could give some input as to why this happens so often, and how to fix this.
    I'll try and get a step by step on here as soon as I can. The "tight jogwheel" can be cured by lowering the optical encoder disc bracket a fraction of a milimeter.

More detail to follow......
    Last edited by Mixerdave; 02-23-2009 at 03:01 PM.

You can have a look here;
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/01/0...-on-a-vci-100/

then click on the direct link in the text..
    Last edited by Anthony More; 02-23-2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Macbookpro 2.4 i5 4gb
    Traktor Pro 1.2.6.
    Black VCI-100 Mod firmware 1.3
    Presonus Firebox

Tech Wizard

Cheers Anthony, never had this help when I stripped mine down! Just got stuck in.

Oquela...check the optical encoder disc is not warped during re-assembly. Mine was and caused the same issues your having with your VCI.

Tech Wizard

MixerDave & Anthony More,

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen that link in a while. I used it to fix my stuck wheel, but now it seems I need to fix the optical encoder disk. Thanks for the tips. Will post later to give you my results.

Tech Wizard

Fixed! did steps 1, 2, and 3 of the guide. No lubricant needed, and steps 5-8 are really just to see what's inside the encoder. It seems the 3 screws holding the plastic guard in place have a LOT to do with whether or not the jog wheel encoder is tracking correctly. They seem to be very sensitive (what I mean by that is that they have to be tightened pretty equally, or something doesn't work.)

Thanks for your help.

BTW: this was the SAME encoder that originally was "sticking" with a slight grinding noise. It came this way from the factory. The reason I know this is because there are some hot glue spots missing from when I removed them the first time.