Banging / Dirty / Electro - House - Mix (With A little GRUM)
    Tech Convert

Default Banging / Dirty / Electro - House - Mix (With A little GRUM)

http://soundcloud.com/va_el/mini-mix-3

Hi, I just started recording my mixes so I can start making my transitions flawless. Please listen to my mix recorded literally 3 minutes ago and leave any constructive criticism you desire.

Regards,
    Vel (Va_eL)

Banned

9mins is not a mix

Tech Mentor

- Tracklistings = more listens and more feedback.

- I agree with above poster.. unless this is a megamix, 9 minutes is too short.

- wtf is GRUM?
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Mentor

What on earth are you talking about? Of course it's a mix. Stop trying to make DJing more of an art than it really is. We're JUST playing other people's tunes, remember?

The transitions in this were good, the flow would work pretty well live, but I would advise taking off "key lock" unless it's needed for a specific transition. When it's on it messes with the bones of the track and makes it sound weird. I see the key lock as more of a tool than a feature that should always stay on. Did you use Virtual DJ for this? If so, lay off the effects. VDJ effects are well known for sounding dodgy and amateurish. BTW Grum is an awesome name for a genre.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Max Jones View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? Of course it's a mix. Stop trying to make DJing more of an art than it really is. We're JUST playing other people's tunes, remember?
    9mins is 'a' mix, two tracks, that's it. What's the point of listening to that? You can't create a groove or define a direction with just a single mix between two tracks.

really more of a lazy mashup if its only 2 tracks

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Max Jones View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? Of course it's a mix.
    Sure, a 9 minute DJ mix is, in a technical sense, a mix. However there is a reason that most DJ mixes are not 9 minutes, which is what commenters are talking about. It's that you can't really mix that much in a 9 minute live mix.

In the actual event, this DJ mix is something like 5 tracks? I don't like 3 of them, track selection wise. The others were fine, and the mixing was low-overlap-of-tracks-but-otherwise-fine. Honestly I feel like the whole experience of listening was pretty much a waste of time. Oh boy, five electro house tracks.. so what? What did I learn about the creator, about music, about anything?

Am I going to say to myself "hey, I should rock out for 9 minutes and put on that nameless minimix?" There may be some listener out there who is looking to form an artistic or emotional connection with a 9 minute mix of 5 tracks whose creator doesn't even felt is worthy of a name. But I'm thinking probably not.

I figure the typical creator who posts on this forum is looking for feedback which includes this sort of "meta" feedback, about the mix independently of the music it contains. YMMV.

Stop trying to make DJing more of an art than it really is. We're JUST playing other people's tunes, remember?
    "Stop trying to make conducting an orchestra more of an art than it really is. Those conductors are JUST instructing people in how to play other peoples tunes, remember? They're even worse than DJs, they're not even touching anything!"

Weird when you see DJs with this attitude about their own artform.

Is there any amount of creative or technical effort one could exert while "playing other people's tunes" which would render the effort more artistically respectable than "JUST playing other people's tunes?"
    Last edited by Awesomer; 08-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    9mins is 'a' mix, two tracks, that's it. What's the point of listening to that? You can't create a groove or define a direction with just a single mix between two tracks.
    It's 5 tracks not two.

Dark Fantasy (Figure Bootleg)
    DallasK - Front Back (Original Mix)
    Plugged (Original Mix) 4:00 Ado
    Wherever We Are (Grum Remix)
    White Noise / Red Meat (Samuel Ietto Remix)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomer View Post
    Is there any amount of creative or technical effort one could exert while "playing other people's tunes" which would render the effort more artistically respectable than "JUST playing other people's tunes?"
    DJing is the art of making people dance, that is reading a crowd and playing appropriate songs to create a certain mood. It serves a purpose, which some would say dis-allows it from being an art altogether because, some argue, that art can serve no purpose other than it's very existence. I'm not saying I agree with that but I still think making a mix in your bedroom is no more than a showcase of technical skill and musical taste and should be treated as just that. Some people's technical skill is at such a level that it becomes an art, but most people are not at that level.