Setting up tsp2 loop recorder with external mixer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Setting up tsp2 loop recorder with external mixer

i'm hoping someone might explain how to properly route audio for using traktor scratch pro 2's loop recorder with my allen and heath xone 42 4 channel mixer.... thanks in advance for your response
    2011 MacbookPro-Lion (2.2GHz i7), Audio 10Dj, Allen&Heath Xone 42, 2 X Technic SL-1200MK3, VCI-100SE - FW1.4 (TSI 4.0), Kontrol X1, 2 X Novation Dicers, iPad (TouchOSC), TraktorScratchPro 2.6

hello,

What soundcard are you using? and whats your usual setup?

In my knowledge u have 2 options.
    1. you can use the record out of the mixer, connect it toa IN channel on your soundcard (set that IN and set it to the Input FX Send in the traktor input routing options). Use a OUT of your soundcard (set it to Output FX Return in traktor output routing options) and connect it to a input chanel of your mixer.

2. Bassicly the same, just you dont connect it to the record out and line in channel , but you connect it to x:fx snd and x:fx:rtn on your mixer. So from the snd to a input of your soundcard, and from the rtn to a output on your soundcard. again select the proper channels in traktor input and output preferences.

Hope that helps a bit. I dont have traktor with me so i hope i explained everithing right )))

Tech Wizard

You do not have to have an extra output from the audio interface running to the 42, as it's got an fx loop, so connect the fx send to a pair of inputs on your audio interface which Traktor will record from, and send the audio out via the 42's own controls. However specifically for 42 I am unsure of how the filters will work together with the fx send; I've yet to try the 42. I would not recommend using the record out, as you would be very limited in terms of what you can record mid-set.

I've got a setup similar to yours and played a bit with the FlexFX as I was exploring the 42's features.
    This was using one of the effect slots as a send reverb and the result was quite disappointing. I'll setup the loop recorder this evening and have a bit of a mess about then report back, but I'm under the impression that doing send/return in a single knob is not a great idea.

Tech Mentor

thanks for your help!!! yeah with the xone 42, ive got the fx send and return ports as an option and i can control the wet/dry of the send on each of the four channels. i'm still not exactly sure how to configure it. i understand that i'll connect the fx send port from the back of the mixer to an open input on my audio 8 dj soundcard (i'll use 5/6 input) and then select 5/6 in traktor input routing (input fx send (ext)). but im not sure what to do after that. my complete setup is listed in my signature. thanks again for your assistance !!
    2011 MacbookPro-Lion (2.2GHz i7), Audio 10Dj, Allen&Heath Xone 42, 2 X Technic SL-1200MK3, VCI-100SE - FW1.4 (TSI 4.0), Kontrol X1, 2 X Novation Dicers, iPad (TouchOSC), TraktorScratchPro 2.6

Tech Wizard

As for actually just sending audio, I'm not familiar with the 42, but possibly just adjusting the d/w knob is everything you have to do.

As for connecting it all to Traktor, it would be correct to assign the ext under input to whatever input is accepting audio on the A8. The under the loop recorder, the d/a knob works as the loop recorder's volume adjust if. Playing with the (very simple) loop recorder for 2 mins should be enough to know it by heart.

Tech Mentor

i've got audio from my mixer fx send to an input on the audio 8dj soundcard sorted out. do i not need to configure routing audio out? sorry if i sound like a dumb@#$

Tech Wizard

No problem, we're all idiots anyway.
    The fx send from Traktor is for when you're mixing internally. You can then assign the send parameters in Traktor, process the audio internally and the route it back into Traktor. Wit an external mixer, you already have all the (up to 4) external stereo channels separated on hardware and controllable from there with the mixer's fx send, that's why Traktor's send is useless with an external mixer with fx send for the loop recorder. Still, you could probably find other uses for it, like having an effect unit in external mode, routed into the return on the mixer - I dunno, your limit is your imagination.

If you've got a spare USB port, you could use the Xone's internal soundcard as a 5th channel (and assign either the loop-recorder or let's say a sample deck to that - depending on which one you want more control over)
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

okay so after sending audio from my mixer to an input (5/6) on my audio 8dj soundcard via fx send and then selecting that soundcard input channel (5/6) in traktor's loop recorder input, im STILL not sure what to do next. Do i route audio back to an open mixer channel from an output on the audio 8dj and select that audio 8dj output channel in traktors loop recorder output routing? what about the fx return port of the mixer?

Almost understanding this....please bear with me... i appreciate your patience lads.

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast