How to make a 3 bar beat jump with one button push ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How to make a 3 bar beat jump with one button push ?

So i'm trying to copy the slicer effect of the novation twitch in traktor. But for this i need to be able to make a 3 bar beat jump. So i'm trying to combine a one bar beat jump two bar jump underneath one button. But it doesn't work as i have hoped.

So has anyone an idea on how to make a 3 bar (or 5, 6, 7 bar)beat jump with just one push ?

you need to send two events with a bit of a delay between them, else traktor just uses the last one it gets. if anyone has a different solution i'd love to know about it though.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

i just had a play and the magic number seems to be 3 millisecs for the delay, always seems to work then.

Code:
    capture_event("lpd8", "0,3", 0, function(d, e, v, p)
        if v > 0 then
            send_event("traktor", "beatjump_-2_a", 127)
            msleep(3)
            send_event("traktor", "beatjump_-1_a", 127)
        end
    end)
    i was thinking about creating some code to emulate a slicer yesterday actually, i might have a look later and see what i can come up with.

i don't *think* you can just do it without additional software but i thought someone had posted a youtube video of some slicer-type functionality a couple of weeks ago.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

this was the post i was thinking of http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=321453

it's not quite slicer functionality i don't think but maybe he worked out how to do the multiple beat jumps etc. he's using keyboard input and not midi tho - maybe that makes a difference

Tech Convert

I was also trying with a keyboard, so it should be possible somehow. And I already saw that video but didn't find it anymore, so thanks.

But i don't get that piece of code. I know what it means/does. But is that code from your midi controller or what is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by becomingdj View Post
    I was also trying with a keyboard, so it should be possible somehow. And I already saw that video but didn't find it anymore, so thanks.

But i don't get that piece of code. I know what it means/does. But is that code from your midi controller or what is that ?
    it's my own software that sites between my controllers and traktor. i'll release a version of it here for download as soon as i'm mostly happy with it.

that youtube video seems to show some functionality where he can switch between different beats, but each beat is looped - whereas in the slicer the whole 8 (?) beats are looped. i saw the loop length changing in his youtube video anyway - might be useful if he saw this and explained what he did tho.

Tech Wizard

i think we're talking about my video (youtube: traktor slicer mapping v1)

the changing length was the number of beats for the required jump - ie jumping from beat 6 of the loop to beat 1 requires 5 beats, which is done with 4+1 beat jumps. was programmed using a command on the downpress and a command on the uprelease of the keyboard key - only way to get this happening inside traktor's own mapping.

check here for more info about it:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...449#post352449

Quote Originally Posted by mrjezza View Post
    i think we're talking about my video (youtube: traktor slicer mapping v1)

the changing length was the number of beats for the required jump - ie jumping from beat 6 of the loop to beat 1 requires 5 beats, which is done with 4+1 beat jumps. was programmed using a command on the downpress and a command on the uprelease of the keyboard key - only way to get this happening inside traktor's own mapping.

check here for more info about it:

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...449#post352449
    cool - yep thats what i was referring to. i see in your video the loop length is changing - so you're doing it with a loop enabled and then beat jumping within it?

i tried that but sometimes my code would get it wrong and so jump too far - outside of the loop - and so then not loop back - so now i send a beatjump-8 at the end instead of using loop enabled.

how did you work out how many beats to jump? i.e: how do u work out at what point in the 8 beats traktor currenty is and hence how many beats to jump back to when you press the button for "2nd beat out of 8" etc? i.e: if you're at beat 5 then it's -3 - ish - depending on quanitize rules.

cunning idea on mapping events to both button down and up - i have to wait between sending out beatjumps if more than one is needed. glad i wasnt going mad and some kind of delay between them really is needed anyway.

also - how do u beatjump -7? as my code has this set (in devices/traktor.lua)

Code:
    ["jump-7"] = { "beatjump_-4_", "beatjump_-2_", "beatjump_-1_" },
    if u fancied trying my code it's here for download: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/sho...t=32001&page=7

the slicer code is in lib/slicer.lua

i think u said you were getting a real twitch? any more clues on how to port the slicer over to traktor without using software like my midimasher sat in the middle?

my software does also light up the pads ala twitch tho which is kind of cool - else u have no clue what beat it is currently on ofc.

Tech Wizard

i think that with the limited options within traktor itself for repeated commands on a single input keystroke (hence the need to map on the up and down press) you'd be limited to a fixed measure size. i'm hoping there will be more flexibility with midi controller inputs rather than a keyboard using traktor's built in controller manager because otherwise you'll be fixed to a measure/loop size.

not sure how i'd get the lights following either but i hadn't even thought about that until you mentioned it just now

i honestly cant remember how i got the 7 jump (although i know i got all jumps working before i made that vid). from memory the limitations surrounding making a 7 jump was the reason the measure size had to be fixed.

i have since changed hdds in the laptop so i'll try and get the tsi off the old hdd if i cant figure it out again once my twitch arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjezza View Post
    i think that with the limited options within traktor itself for repeated commands on a single input keystroke (hence the need to map on the up and down press) you'd be limited to a fixed measure size. i'm hoping there will be more flexibility with midi controller inputs rather than a keyboard using traktor's built in controller manager because otherwise you'll be fixed to a measure/loop size.

not sure how i'd get the lights following either but i hadn't even thought about that until you mentioned it just now

i honestly cant remember how i got the 7 jump (although i know i got all jumps working before i made that vid). from memory the limitations surrounding making a 7 jump was the reason the measure size had to be fixed.

i have since changed hdds in the laptop so i'll try and get the tsi off the old hdd if i cant figure it out again once my twitch arrives.
    there's not really any less limitations when using a controller than using your keyboard etc - tho some controllers will have builtin layers/banks as i suspect the twitch does when you change the mode for those 8 button banks, so it should probably send out different messages for those 8 buttons depending on whether u are in slicer/loop etc mode - still doesnt help in any way tho for implemting a slicer on those 8 buttons.

my solution via midimasher is to route all midi to and from all controllers via it's own engine - where then u can do anything u want with the data - pass it on, change internal states/modifiers and send out anything u like.

so my slicer code counts beats via the beat phase monitor in traktor, lighting up the lpd8 (or any controller) pads for each step and sending out a beatjump-8 to traktor at the end (if that mode is selected - else it just slices through the entire track - letting it play as usual until u press a pad)

when u press a pad it tries to work out what beat u are on and then beatjumps back to the pad u press - this is where it sometimes/often fails - due to the quantize in traktor.

the code creats a "heartbeat" event internally (on,off) based on the beatphase monitor and also a "quantize" event which *should* be enough to work out where traktor will jump to - but that needs some more testing/fiddling...

all the user code in my midimasher is written in lua and pretty easy to get into - tho some coding background helps i guess.

standard stuff like routing a controller to (and optionall back from) traktor etc is simple tho with some pre-coded functions i have in the libs. also creating toggle buttons from a normal button etc - so u don't need to mess around with that stuff in traktor - keeping lpd8 pad lights on (when needed) when u release them (as usually they light up when u press and go out when u release even if the pad has been sent a midi ON message) and auto feedback for leds for controllers like the launchpad.

can do everything that an app like midikatapult can do for example (well almost - can't do the "slowly sliding from one val to another" *yet*) and can do a whole lot more through custom code.

i was waiting for the new midikatapult to control my launchpad - i bought midikatapult as soon as i got my LP - but gave up hope of a new version so have now coded all the stuff in my midimasher that i need for my LP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast