Is it a disadvantage to publish live sets??
    Tech Wizard

Default Is it a disadvantage to publish live sets??

are people wanting mixes to be flawless... i.e post edited after initial recording??? Im trying to upload my work without any fine tuning... i.e exactly how u would here it in a club...trying to market the realness of my mixing... is this a disadvantage for trying to gain a fan base.... what are you thoughts???

I have a few examples mixcrate..

http://www.mixcrate.com/rarodan81

cheers guys

djs

personally i prefer a live/improv mix. as i believe it has more character. just sayin

edit. there is a vast difference between a good live set and a bad live set. the difference is up to your discrepency.
    If it aint good it aint good
    Last edited by Zaniac; 08-15-2011 at 01:28 AM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

There is definitely no disadvantage to doing this. Posting live mixes definitely helps keep your fan base and establish your presence, but don't be too frivolous. If you record often, then you'll be able to pick your better sets to post online. Obviously, you won't want to post ones that didn't turn out as well.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by the_djs View Post
    are people wanting mixes to be flawless... i.e post edited after initial recording??? Im trying to upload my work without any fine tuning... i.e exactly how u would here it in a club...trying to market the realness of my mixing... is this a disadvantage for trying to gain a fan base.... what are you thoughts???
    If you're promoting what you can do live, IMO it should be an indication of what you could do on your very best live take. If you're doing some sort of more complex DJ mix where there are restrictions, I could see doing edits. But if you mess up while doing a pre-planned DJ Mix.. most of the time you would be better off just starting over. You'll benefit from doing more "takes" and the end result will be just as "flawless."

Any mix that I edited, I would not promote as 100% live. I don't think one NECESSARILY needs to include a disclaimer ("slight edits not affecting the outcome of the mix") or whatever, and clearly most people who produce retail (non promotional) DJ mixes don't include one. They just.. edit their mixes and don't mention it. When *I* hear a DJ MIX which is COMPLETELY PERFECT IN EVERY WAY, I start to suspect that the fix might be in, and it loses some of the excitement of hearing a live performance of a mix. It's gone from being a "DJ mix" to a "premix", you know?

You asked about uploading and promoting yourself to a club audience.. I think you should pretty much be doing that as live as possible.

Just my opinion, YMMV, batteries not included, allow 5 to 6 weeks for delivery.
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

i disagree with everyone above me (basicly) but i also dont disregard what they have said...i just view things diffrently.

I feel like anything I post online MUST be perfect (or what i feel is perfected enough) as it has my name attached to it forever. also, i got to many big gigs and festivals to see some big names...not once have I ever heard a mistake in there set that was noticeable...and im extreamly good at picking out mistakes...theres 2 ways to do that...1 edit it when you make a mistake *i personally just redo the section and put all the cuts togeather in my daw* or 2 practice it till its perfect...but hey if your happy with what you give out then give it out...just in my opinion it should be perfected if it repesents who you are.

Just keep this in mind. You might not edit your mixes you send to gigs but someone else will and there mix will sound more polished

The closest to perfection a person ever comes is when he fills out a job application form. (Quote by - Stanley J. Randall)
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

Tech Wizard

some great points... especially with the job interview..... hahaha so true.... although I dont want to advertise something I cant back up in a live routine........ mixing live I feel gives a real human element to the mix i.e on the other side of that mix is a dj who is doing this all in real time.... I dont believe in the whole cut copy paste etc when it comes to mixing....hopefully people will appreciate the organic nature of my mixes kinda like this whole movement with magazines getting rid of the airbrush on their models..... ......but I do appreciate the fact that your names on it forever... so as was previously mentioned I'll just have to ensure that the mix is flawless before I share.....
    cheers for your thoughts and feedback... much appreciation

djs

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Most people have no idea when there's a screw up unless it's really, really bad. Like I've always said if you screw something up count to four and do it three more times.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    Like I've always said if you screw something up count to four and do it three more times.
    Words to live by. Great way to (attempt) to save yourself.