Presonus Firebox and 13" Macbook FW ?
    Tech Guru

Default Presonus Firebox and 13" Macbook FW ?

Anyone know if I buy a Firebox it will run / boot ok with just Firewire, not without need of an external power supply on a White Macbook Core 2 duo ? I searched the Presonus website and they say it has a problem with 17" Macbook Pro's, but it does not meantion the 13" Macbook.

So anyone know?
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

As long as it has a 6 pin firewire port you should be good.

i remember reading that you need to use the powercord when you turn the computer and firebox on and then you can remove the powercord. is that just for the macbook pro and not the macbook?
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    i remember reading that you need to use the powercord when you turn the computer and firebox on and then you can remove the powercord. is that just for the macbook pro and not the macbook?
    I dunno, i dont own a macbook - id still recommend people actually use their AC adapters with their soundcards though, this assures a higher level of stability.

Tech Guru

I cannot find a solid answer..the whole idea is to avoid lugging around a wall wort and extra stuff in my bag. If the power supply is a small cord, then ok..,but hate these big , heavy, bulky power supplies that are as big as the actual unit.

If I plug it in and did all the work, I would just keep it plugged in then.

Maybe I buy then a NI Audio 4, but could I be ok running a VCI-100 and NI 4 only via USB power?
    VCI-100 Black SE/ FW 1.3 / VCI-300
    Traktor Pro 1.1.2 / Serato Itch / SL3 / Ableton Live 7
    Korg NanoKontrol / KRK V4's
    NI Audio 8 Dj / Pioneer DJM-600
    Macbook 13"/ 2ghz

i agree for sure, i always use the ac adapter.

no mac here either

Quote Originally Posted by claudek View Post
    Maybe I buy then a NI Audio 4, but could I be ok running a VCI-100 and NI 4 only via USB power?
    you would probably have enough power but you would probably also have more midi jitter and latency having both on the usb.

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    you would probably have enough power but you would probably also have more midi jitter and latency having both on the usb.
    Nah thats isnt an issue - not they are both on a USB hub in which case this would be an issue.

The Firebox power supply is a very small, 12V DC adapter. I've actually replaced mine with an even narrower supply (the kind that doesn't hog multiple outlets on a power strip).

I use it with a 17" MBP, and I've never tried unplugging it after everything is booted, but I know that it definitely needs the power supply to first connect to the laptop and play music.

EDIT: here's a pic i found of my power supply:
    Last edited by Phil R; 02-23-2009 at 01:14 PM.

Quote;The Macbook Pro's firewire bus has a protection circuit built-in that prevents too much power being initially drawn by any device connected to it. Because of this, the Firebox's included power adaptor will need to connected and plugged in prior to booting up your Macbook. Once both the Firebox and the Macbook are powered up, you can disconnect the Firebox's power adaptor and it can be powered from the firewire bus.
    http://psfaq.presonus.com/index.php?...=45&artlang=en

Quote;Apple reduced power to Firewire Bus on new Macbook Pro's
    So I had a Macbook Pro from about a yr ago, it used to work fine with my PreSonus Firebox soundcard, wellll I bought a NEW Macbook Pro this week and guess what! Plug in the Firebox and CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK, hmmm sounds like its wanting to come on but cant, so i plug it back into my old powerbook and DING! Blue light.... I hop on the phone and call PreSonus and they confirm that on the new Macbook Pros you need to utilize the AC Adaptor because the FIREBOX is a 1000ma drain on the firewire port. Apple says they reduced the available instant power to the ports due to new chipset size requirement.
    http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=61670

Hope these articles help to make some things clear for MB users
    Macbookpro 2.4 i5 4gb
    Traktor Pro 1.2.6.
    Black VCI-100 Mod firmware 1.3
    Presonus Firebox