Great Article on the Blog For Windows Users - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Michielygil View Post
    It does support multi-core processing, it's an option in the preferences.

Hmmm, maybe I should just test it on a 64 bits system then. I've read that it doesn't natively support 64 bits, but there's only 1 way to find out
    i've only got live5 and live8le and they're both installed in my "Program Files (x86)" dir, so not 64bit i guess, seem to both work ok though.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Good Afternoon Chaps,

I thought I would take a couple of minutes and try and answer some of the questions and comments that have come up in relation to the article. Hopefully this will fill in any blanks.

There were some comments about why I would bring up the Mac versus PC issue. The reason I included this topic in the article was that I felt it was important that people understand the environment they will be dealing with should they go looking for help on PC/Windows issues. You don’t have to click too many times to read “buy a Mac” as the first or second response to PC questions raised in forums like these. In no way was the article or video arguing that PC is better than Mac. What I did say was that a) many people own PCs and are not in a position to go and purchase a new Mac and b) with the right amount of tweaking, a PC can be configured to run as well as a mac. At the end of article it says, “If however, this level of [Windows] OS tweaking is not for you and you are currently in the market for a machine that will run DJ software effortlessly, heading to the Apple store is still a good bet.” I thinks Macs are amazing systems but I use a PC as I have built, installed, configured and resolves issues on thousands of systems over the years – maybe I am just too old to change.

In regard the machine I used, I agree this was not the very best machine I could have demonstrated the script on. The script was originally written for a Toshiba Satellite M305-S4910 | Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6400, 2.0GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 4GB PC6400 DDR2 SDRAM, 320GB (5400 RPM), Serial ATA hard disk drive purchased nearly three years ago. This machine is currently in a pretty bad way (due to my three year old mistaking it for a basketball) and wasn’t available for me to demo on.

If you want to see what everything I did to that Toshiba go here

The Samsung RF-510 is a beast but also has its own issues such as the well documented NVidia driver problem with the S4. I have probably spent more time tweaking this machine than the Toshiba. Freeing up resources is just one element in optimizing your Windows system. I do have an 5 year old IBM Thinkpad with 2GB in a box somewhere and I may try and use that going forward (though I may need to buy a USB PCMCIA 2.0 card for it)

'Does the script F**k anything up?' It has the ability to disable functions on your system that you may need so the answer is yes it can – TEMPORARILY. The point of this script is to be non-invasive so it doesn’t write any changes to your Windows system. A reboot will reset everything. You’d be mad to run this for the first time at, or just before a gig but I think that goes without saying.

'My System works fine without any tweaking'.
    If this is your reality – brilliant! Nobody wants to have to commit more time out of their day configuring a machine to work well with an application they thought would just…work well. It’s the almost infinite PC hardware configuration combinations that make everyone’s experience so unique. This article was designed to help those who are limited to a PC right now and those who are experiencing issues. Trancicted, Stashe and I have had seen positive results from a good deal of people using the script over the last 6-8 months.

I have more articles/videos planned. Let me know what you want to see and you may just get what you need. I am happy to answer more questions if anyone has them.

Cheers,
    SmiTTTen
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

As I've said on the blog itself, I don't really like the tone of the article itself, since any comparison with Mac's isn't really adding to the purpose of the article (which is pimping your laptop), I have to thank you loads for the script itself!

Even though my laptop doesn't need it for DJing, for production you can use every resource available, no matter what your specs are.
    I've placed this script on my desktop and before going into Ableton, it's a piece of cake to run the script.
    A very nice touch to have the restore option in it aswell!

(I like it that it turns off all things internet too, so I don't get distracted with my compulsive infobesitas)
    2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Thanks for clarifying Smi777en. Apropos the issue with 'NVidia drivers and S4' - is this peculiar to Toshiba, or is it generic to NVidia? My ASUS uses NVidia drivers.
    The script is brilliant BTW - I did NOT have issues, but the peace of mind when I'm gigging with the script running is priceless.
    356 reasons why

Smittten, is there a way of disabling devices using this script? Such as the video camera, audio devices, apci battery manager for example? I currently turn off various services (which this script does for me) but I also disable the above mentioned devices and working these into the script would help.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Smittten, is there a way of disabling devices using this script? Such as the video camera, audio devices, apci battery manager for example? I currently turn off various services (which this script does for me) but I also disable the above mentioned devices and working these into the script would help.
    We'll take a look Koop....

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    Gracias!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    this would help me too as its now the only thing i have to disable once i have run the script. cheers.
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    Thanks for clarifying Smi777en. Apropos the issue with 'NVidia drivers and S4' - is this peculiar to Toshiba, or is it generic to NVidia? My ASUS uses NVidia drivers.
    The script is brilliant BTW - I did NOT have issues, but the peace of mind when I'm gigging with the script running is priceless.
    The Nvidia driver is actually on the Samsung machine in the demo. Firstly it came with a separate HDMI driver which I did not install as I had seen a lot of people reporting issues with Nvidia HDMI drivers due to it managing video AND audio. IF I remember correctly (I am not using the Samsung right now) the driver settings allowed you to configure the card for quality (detailed rendering) or performance (fast rendering). The quality setting (which was what it was set to) was causing latency issues so I changed it to performance and the problem went away.

There are a lot of laptops now that offer a discrete gfx card as well as an on board intel gfx chip. These are well worth looking at as you can switch between without rebooting.

Tech Mentor

anyone on xp pro having issues with this script??? I cannot get it to run properly. When i run it i get a message that pops up before all the other text that says

'and' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

my limited coding knowledge isnt helping me fix this. i removed all instances of the word AND but i still get this error. anyone have any idea whats up? I besides the weird message it refuses to actually do anything on my XP Pro machine

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast