Technics turntables

Default Technics turntables

So, I was thinking about taking what I think is a good deal, and its local.

Will get two technics tables, one 1200 mk2 and one 1210 mk2(difference between them!?)

Now to the big question, im a young guy and totally noobish about vinyl tables, how can i tell the condition of the items?

I'll post a link here to the site where you can buy used gear in sweden, perhaps you could have a glance at it and tell me your thoughts?

http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Ett_....htm?ca=11&w=1

the price is about 1000 US dollars for whole package shown at pic.
    Although I dont need that mixer.

I was thinking bout getting cdjs and a controller, like twitch or vci 100 but this might be more fun. Already have traktor but guess i have to get some vinyl control. Had cdjs before and a s4.

Your thoughts is, as allways appreciated!

EDIT: Can get everything in the pic for 900 US dollar. ( 2x turntables, some mic, mixer, extra needles and stuff) (how often do you have to change those?)
    Last edited by M.Beijer; 08-16-2011 at 04:50 PM.

too expensive imo, look on ebay and you can find ones in good shape for 800 or less

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Garygary1 View Post
    too expensive imo, look on ebay and you can find ones in good shape for 800 or less
    this. You don't need a crappy mic or that mixer if you already have one. I just scored 2 1200's in GOOD condition 8 of 10 for 220.00 each with Ortofon Concordes. That's the cheapest I found them and I was patient. Normal price is around 600-700 for two if you search. Good vid by Photo.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

The original poster is in Sweden; I'm guessing this is actually a decent price for there. But yeah check to see what other deals are available. And as for buying used, these are very sturdy turntables, best advice is to plug them in and play some vinyl to see how they work to assess if anything is wrong. Big things to look out for are any kind of damage to the tonearm assembly, and listen for any kind of hum or noise on the floor when it's plugged in. They should be pretty damn quiet but turntables that get moved around a lot sometimes develop problems in the RCA cords that lead to hum. I've had to repair mine a couple times for this problem and it cost about $75, though if you're fearless with a soldering iron and screwdriver you can do it yourself for about $20. Other things to notice is if the light is out, though most people don't care. Obviously you should watch the pitch controls and see if there are any problems (they should smoothly change the speed upwards and downwards, without any trouble spots). If they won't let you plug them in and try them out, don't buy them.

As for how often to change needles, it depends how you're using them. If you do a lot of scratching and backspinning, you'll want to change them every 6 months or so; some people do it as often as every two months but that's probably overkill. They do wear out eventually and sometimes even break. But they can last a lot longer if you keep them clean and if you're not too heavy handed. Based on the photo they are concorde style needles (are they Ortofon carts?); you might find you're happier with regular headshells so see if they still have the headshells that may have come with the turntables too.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

Hehehe Ellaskins hair tis a good vid tho with all the main points covered.

1210s are black and 1200s are silver in EU
    I dunno what prices are like in Sweden so have no idea really but it sounds pricey to me.
    The mixer is crap, the slipmats gotta go, the styli probably need replacing, I dunno if you value the mic, and they've lost the old 45/78 centre spindles so the decks have probably been gigged. I'd test them out if you can and make an offer if they seem ok, if you can't go test them then I'd avoid or make a low offer and hope for the best as most things are repairable with Technics but it will cost.

Thanks for all advices!

@photo
    good link!

Well, here in sweden I think it's a quite good price even though i will just throw away the mixer and duno what mic it is..

The tables usually go for 3500kr/each here in sweden in the used market as far as i know and then two tables would be 7000kr which is like 1050 dollars.(looked for like 4 months now and only seen one or two go for less than 3500kr)
    Almost everything is more expensive in sweden, due to that we have 25% extra tax on all electronics you buy here.

The seller also said price is negotiable so.. i probably can get it cheaper!