TAP BPM Button - is something wrong?
    Tech Guru

Default TAP BPM Button - is something wrong?

Hi,

Tried searching for this and found some issues about other tap problems but most users of TP2 sound like they feel the TAP BPM button works very well..

So I'm wondering if I am not using it correctly..

TP2 auto-bpm detection works pretty well as most of my music is house / tech. But every now and again, I get a problem. I'm able to beatgrid pretty quickly (thanks to this site + Traktor Bible). But my issues are with an occasional wrong BPM.

I try to use the TAP button (I've tapped 4x or more) but traktor ALWAYS seems to come back with EXACTLY the same BPM as it auto-detected and some of them I know for certain are wrong. Anybody else experience this issue? Am I doing something wrong or am I just out of luck on some songs? Or is TAP not so great in TP2?

Any advice?

Also, anybody else notice that sometimes when you lay a beatgrid and then have traktor do an auto-analyze again, things just seem to click into place? Is this meant to do this or is it just an anamoly? If its meant to do it, what is that feature referred to as? Re-analyze? Can somebody describe the right steps to this 'feature'? Sometimes I just do some pretty random things to a seemingly difficult sound and it seems to eventually work.. But to be honest, sometimes I'm not quite sure what I did.

I will say that as far as house / tech goes - traktor seems to pretty much nail it 9 times out of 10 with auto-beatgridding + BPM analysis. Most of the time, if it doesnt nail it, its a super quick fix (like +.001 bpm or regrid or shift grid slightly). I wish it had a proper auto-load marker tho. I pretty much always need to apply those manually since it starts me in a place where theres little to no audible sound (I assume because its trying to evenly grid things into phases?)

Thnx

keep tapping for a few bars.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

Occasionally, I tap a beat and it picks the wrong bpm, but grids and it eventually fades. I tap again, nothing. I delete the grid marker, tap again, and this time the bpm is either accurate, or slightly closer. Sometimes I have to do this 3-4 times, or I just give up and go with stretching it manually.

Not sure what causes this, but it slows me down if I'm going through a large amount of tracks.
    [ 17" 2010 MBP ][ Mixcloud ][ CompleteJ ][ Soundcloud ][ Traktor Kontrol S4 ]

Tech Guru

Thnx - sounds like its not exactly the most stable feature and that it works for some songs but not others. I too get the occasional minor BPM adjustment when tapping but the more common scenario is that it returns the original auto-BPM. Question - how do you manually 'stretch' your songs? Through Ableton warping or something like that?

Also - as far as tapping for a few bars - I am definitely tapping for a few bars (i've tried everywhere from exactly 4 taps to half of the entire song). Doesnt seem to make much difference.

Anybody suggest any software that does a better job of BPM detection for these difficult occasional tracks? I've tried MixMeister BPM Analyzer and surprise surprise - it returns the exact same wrong BPM as Traktor except rounded off to the nearest decimal. Mixed in Key I've heard mixed results about but never really tried it (and seems expensive to take a chance with for just a few songs - tho the key detection is cool but something I rarely would use).

Thnx
    Kevin

BPM analyzers work on the transients in the track, the little peaks that make up the rythm.

Computers cant hear like we do so they rely on the waveform peaks. Some tracks are almost impossible for traktor to do this with.

One specifically sticks in my head. It was a dnb track that auto analyzed at 90bpm. I tapped out the rythm i dont know how many times and traktor could not get it at all.
    I tapped out the bpm on an app on my phone ant it came in at 87. I then proceeded to grid it completely manually.

I think the tap bpm feature in traktor still relies on the tracks transients, it doesnt bypass this. Which in that 1/100 track, is a ball ache.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

This feature worked great in TP1, but not so much in 2 for some reason. It was my go to way of gridding. Now I have to do everything in the advanced grid panel which takes a little longer.